Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Front calipers

What's the difference, if any, between the right and left front caliper? Just bought a pair of rebuilt ones but they are not labelled right or left. I see most places show diferent part numbers for each side. What's the diff? They look the same to me. ?????
Old 04-06-2007, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The bleeder valve should be on top. (This won't help on a caliper that has two bleeders, though!) There is also a "cutout" on the caliper piston which faces a specific direction. I believe it is upward and forward in both cases. Check Haynes or your Factory manual to see where the "brake pad shim" goes; the cutout in the piston mates with the edges of the shim.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-06-2007, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Dave is correct, the anti-rotation device hangs from the upper pin. With the later dual bleed screws, the caliper can be converted to the opposite side by rotating the pistons correctly.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Checked caliper piston for the "cutout". It is there but not in the correct position. Calipers did not have anti-roatation clip when I took the old ones off. How important is this clip? Can you drive w/o it? Calipers are new. DId not want to take apart to rotate piston around. My guess is the piston has to be completely removed to get it into the correct position. Done that before it's not fun.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Well, you can Mickey Mouse it, but then it is not a proper job done is it. If the caliper has been properly rebuilt it should not be hard to rotate the pistons. At least with my rebuilds it isn't.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: