Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Strut housing nuts, again

This is the third time I have posted for the same stupid nuts.

I have a set of strut housing from a 911 that I am trying to put on my 914. One of the problems is I don't know what year the housings are from. I need to find the clamp nuts that hold the hub on. I have already tried 4 different nuts with no luck. Recently I found out the exact size of the nut. It is 16mm x 1.0 These stupid nuts are the only thing keeping me from finishing the front of the car.

Is there some place where I can search through a parts diagram for all 911, to see all the different parts numbers for these nuts, and possibly the sizes?
Saved by God, because I could not.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I know of places for this information for a 914, but not for a 911. Try asking on the 911 side about it, they may be able to direct you to a PDF file online of the shop manual
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 04-08-2007, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Try posting this question on the World site, there may be someone there who can help you.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php
Old 04-15-2007, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I might have figured out the problem.

I have another clamp nut on order from the local porsche store. It should be arriving today or tomorrow. Then I will see if I have success or not.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Okay, the clamp nut arrived this morning at the local porsche store. So I brought my strut housing with me to make sure it works before I leave the store. Well, it didn't fit. The people at the porsche store were extremely helpful. First, he tried the nut himself, and it wouldn't fit. Then he got a die and threaded it on the spindle, and it went on smooth. So, my spindle threads are in perfect shape. Then he tried the nut again and it still didn't fit. They didn't have a tap to check the threads in the nut, but he said that he would find one and check the threads for me, and he also ordered another nut.

My guess is that porsche didn't make the nuts right? It looks like the threads are a little messed up in the nut. Like they were not made right. They have square edges instead of points. The good thing is that I know what I have and that it isn't the spindle that is messed up.

I guess the search for the clamp nut continues.

What is the possibility that porsche has messed up the nuts?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Here is the final outcome. I am on my 5th nut and none of them are working. I went to a local machine shop, that my porsche parts guy recommended, and they checked both the threads on the axle, and on the nut. The threads on my axle were exactly what I thought they were, 16X1. They ran a die on the threads with no problem. So, my axle is in perfect condition. Then they tried to run a tap through the nut, and tried, and tried. After about 20 minutes they gave up. The threads on the nut are messed up. After extremely close inspection of the nut threads I have figured out the problem. When porsche threaded the nuts the machine was not lined up properly. The threads are off center. There is about 75% threads on one side of the nut and 125% on the other. So, long story short, there is a big batch of messed up clamp nuts from porsche.

Now my search begins for some used nuts. So far I have had no luck, but I am still searching.

This stupid nut has wasted so much of my life.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Steves Independent Porsche Repair in Orange, 714-637-1234, I just had the exact same problem. They have these nuts and they will run about $25 each, I just ordered 2. Now I can keep my Konis.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks medic13 but I have already found some nuts. A place called DCauto.com had them. They are being shipped as we speak, and should be the right ones. I will know in a couple of days.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: