Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Talking New owner, help please

Hello!

I have had my 73 914 1.7 for about 6 months now. The car is in great shape, and the previous owner took great care of it. My intent is to take the car for DE events, so I want to go through it and maximize its reliability. I have quite a few unrelated questions, and would appreciate some input:

1) Can I take the motor/tranny out with a midrise scissor lift? I read Waynes article, and its not clear if this would work. My goal is to take the motor out, replace any leaking gaskets, fuel lines, and the reverse/1st gear syncho's.

2) Idiot lites don't work. The generator light come on when turning the car on, nothing else does. Is this a burned out light issue? Disconnected guages? Where do I start?

The car is in fantastic shape, and about as rust free as I could ever find. I checked the usual spots, and they were perfect.

My goal is to make the car into a nice driver. Last time I said that, was with a 991S...and it was in pieces for a year . Its hard not to go crazy and over improve everything...

As an introduction, this is my 6th porsche, but first 914 . (911s, 911sc, 944 turbo, boxter, 996, etc).

Thanks for your time, Bo.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
You can take the drivetrain out with a lift. I use a couple of floor jacks, but that's 'cause I don't have a lift. The "put it on a dolly" method Wayne outlines can work very well with a lift, actually! Just make sure there's room for the engine to come out between the supports for the car, and that your dolly is an appropriate height that the engine doesn't have to fall into it!

Idiot light problems could be as simple as a burned-out bulb, or an unplugged wire--or could be a bad sender or some such. Chase down the wiring and see. The sender should be just aft of the distributor body, down inside the engine tin.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-09-2007, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jim912928
I've taken the motor out two different ways...I've used the "loosen everything up"...bring the car down...loosen the mounts so the engine rests on a dolly (furniture/piano)..then left the car and roll the engine out.

I've also used a motorcycle life in place of the dolly. I really prefer letting the engine rest down on a dolly and then raising the car...versus raising the car and balancing an engine/tranny and lowering it as a unit.

Where in Wisconsin?
58 Triumph TR3A
07 Harley Night Rod Special, 08 buell 1125R, 08 Harley CVO Springer, 09 Harley Iron
Old 04-10-2007, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
don't forget the fuel lines under the gas tank
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 04-10-2007, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I live in Racine, Guys...

My original concerns was whether a scissor lift could be used. I wonder if dropping the trans/motor as a unit will catch on the lift, and whether lifting the car without the unit would cause the lift to lose balance...

I must say, I love the 914 I bought. It such a simple car, easy to work on, and inexpensive enough to enjoy. I figured it would make a pretty decent track car for a complete novice, and its underpowered enough to keep me out of trouble... I wish I still had my 944 turbo, though.

I only did 1 DE so far in another vehicle, and somehow managed to spin it twice at Road America. I think I was getting just a bit ahead of myself, or I figured that the car handled better than it really did . As the car was spinning, $$$$ were floating through my head - somewhat ruined the experience for me, thankfully nothing happened.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The euphoria of new ownership! Enjoy it while it lasts!!!

You may determine it's not so simple if you have to dig into some intermittent problem related to the injection, etc. etc. etc...

Good luck though--lots of great support on the boards.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Some updates...

Decided to replace the fuel lines without pulling the motor, seems that they are all accessable...

In regards to fuel line...

I can't find the cloth covered variety. I call Pelican Parts, and they also carry the plain rubber variety. I wanted to support Pelican, as I am using this site .

My local autozone carries the regular plain fuel line. So I bought some hi pressure FI line, 8mm. This stuff is an absolute bear to get one. Ungodly tight, even after stretching and softening with a lighter...

Where can I buy the riginal fuel line?

I also want to replace the short fuel line from the injector to the injector rail, but this is crimped on. Any easy way of replacing this? Do you just cut and use hose clamps? Seems like a cheezy way of doing it...

I also learned that most 35 year old plastic parts are VERY brittle. Various pieces cracked as I brushed against them...sigh...
Old 04-17-2007, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The original fuel line isn't such great stuff to use, IMHO. The cloth covering makes for a good wick, if you have any leaks...

The short hoses from the fuel rail to the injectors use crimped-on clamps. To replace the hose, you cut the clamp. Replace with a standard fuel injection hose clamp, like the others in the car. My FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) carries those, BTW.

I dip the ends of the hoses in a little gasoline or convince some to dribble into the end right before I slide the new hose onto the fittings in the engine bay.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-17-2007, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: