Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche to VW numbers

In my search for these stubborn strut housing clamp nuts I remembered something. My car, 914, is a Porsche-Volkswagen. I don't know how I forgot this, as almost every part on the car is stamped with the VW logo. Then I noticed that the inner door handle has a VW part number stamped in it, not a porsche number. My question is, and don't hate me for it, is there a cross reference between porsche and VW part numbers. I have also noticed that VW has a head light switch, and turn signal switch that "look" the same. I don't know if they are the same or not, but they are MUCH cheaper. The strut housing nuts, for example, porsche wants about $50 each, and VW wants only $15 each. Well, I am off to the VW store tomorrow to see if they have the right nut that I am looking for.

I have never heard of a cross reference between numbers, but I haven't been into porsches too long.
Saved by God, because I could not.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I don't know of a list. I put together a few of them. If you look in the shop manual, it lists parts numbers, you would pretty much have to go down the list and check them one by one, but a lot of VW part numbers in there

I got my flasher relay for $10, instead of $30, and my metal gas cap for $10, instead of a plastic one for twice that.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 04-12-2007, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Very seldom would you find a crossover. Why? If they are marked as VW, the ARE a VW part at VW prices. They used VW parts as often as they could. Why would they use two identical parts with different part #'s; they don't. If they have a Porsche part number, then they are not VW parts. You may find a similar VW part, but it usually will not be identical, and that difference might be critical.

I agree fully with: There is no free lunch. You are really wasting your time looking for cheaper substitutes.

Researching 356, 911, 912 & 914 Paint codes, Engine #'s and Transmission #'s
Addicted since 1975
Old 04-12-2007, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I understand about the part numbers, and the prices. I know that if it has a VW part number then it would be at a VW price, even if it is on a porsche.

Mostly, I was just thinking out loud.

I knew at least one person would would hate me for posting this.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
When I want a flasher relay, window crank, horn or gascap, I go to Bugformance. When I want shifter bushings or lug bolts for my car, I come here and get the right alloy bolts(have not bought them yet, will soon though), some things I do spend money on.

I just won't use the local Pcar stealership. Issues with two other makes of cars I have and have had at facilities he owned.

There is no free lunch, and you get what you pay for
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 04-12-2007, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Cool. I need to buy window cranks. I will check out bugformance.

My local Porsche dealer is great. They always help me out and are good people.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Groucho Marxist

Garage
put up a list of stuff and I could probably tell you off the top of my head.

If you are in SD, you will have no problems finding stuff
Milton Friedman
Old 04-13-2007, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenWater
I knew at least one person would would hate me for posting this.
If that is in reference to my post, you have it wrong. I just try to educate people. Lots of guys think there is a big conspiracy to double the prices of VW parts by putting a Porsche part # on it. This is not the case. I'm glad to see you know that.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: