Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Progressive carb conversion

I am converting my 1975 1.8 to a progressive weber carb. Can I use the stock distributor.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Yes, you can. But don't put the crap-gressive carb on your engine, PLEASE!

If you must have carbs, duals are the only way to go on our motors. This has been proven over and over again--the singles are just about impossible to tune correctly, and they have significant problems with manifold wetting and mixture distribution. If you can come up with a way to heat the manifold, that will help at least somewhat... But it's better to put duals on and be done with it.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-12-2007, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I agree that dual carbs would be the best way to go, but here is my problem. Dual Webers will cost me more than I spent on the whole car. I do not want to spend alot of money on this car right now. I just got it and it has several issues, #1 being that it doesn't run because someone set the engine on fire and ruined the fuel injection, then stored it for 20 years.
My plan is to get the car running with a progressive Weber setup (because it's cheap), work out any issues that I can't see until it moves under it's own power (ie. clutch, brakes, trans, cv joints) then I will look into upgrading and tuning the engine and carbs.

Have you heard of anyone applying heat to a single carb setup? If so, how did they do it?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
What motor do you have? I have a set of solex carbs that I had on a 1.8, I also have most F.I. parts. Tell us more about the car.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have a 75 with a 1.8. It has rusted rockers but it doesn't appear to be sagging. Overall it looks pretty good other than the fuel injection wiring harness, relays, airflow sensor, and fuel injectors are melted. I removed all of the injection and started cleaning and found fire ext. powder all over the top of the engine.
I tried a set of Solex PDSIT's that I found on Ebay, but I didn't receive the linkage to connect them together. I couldn't find one anywhere. One carb has a broken choke and they both need rebuilt.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
The Solex's are a much better chose than the single. Can you take a picture of the linkage. I loved the carbs on my 75. THOMAS gets over 30mpg with his 1.7 and those Solex's.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

These carbs are stock on a 72 and 73 vw bus. The stock linkage is what I needed.
I have already ordered the progressive setup so I am already committed to using it for now.
I just do not want to spend alot of money on this until I know the condition of the rest of the drivetrain.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
The carb came off of a PINTO.....remember the explode on impact POS from Ford? Runaway, throw that thing in the lake and give it the float test....if it floats, punch holes in it and throw it farther out.....
Old 04-13-2007, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Ah guys, cut the fellow some slack. He has already thrown his money away on two sets of carbs so far. Wait till he finds out what fire extinguisher power has done to the inside of his engine.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I bet you could find some used FI pieces to get it back the way it should be for not much more than the cost of the single progressive.

Many yrs ago (early 80s) I had FI, dual webers (ICTs?) Solexs and a single prog carb on 1.7s, 1.8s.

I had that prog carb off so many times to get it to run right... Last time I dropped a washer down the tube and found a 'very similar' one laying on the case that I assumed was it.

First right turn, knock, knock... "wrong washer".

Thats when I did one of the first V8 conversions.

So that progressive carb cost me thousands in the end.

BTW, I remember getting 36mpg once with the ICTs on a 1.7.

Good luck.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

you can prob piece together an operational L-Jet setup for far less than everything-dual carbs, carb linkage, intake, fuel pump, etc,...-you need. post a want to buy ad for the correct year at 914world, 914club and see what you can do. i *think* there are a few difs in the 74' vs 75'/76'.

k
Old 04-14-2007, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I had a progressive carb on my 1.7L and it worked good, especially having a choke. I changed to dual webers and the difference is amazing. Granted that I ony cleaned the progressive carb before use but did not rebuild which probably would help.

If you want to buy my progressive carb, PM me. I am going to ebay it but I'm really lazy.

Spoke
Old 04-14-2007, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: