Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Architecture & Porsche's

New '73 914 owner, high idle issue

HI guys,

I've had 914's before, but been a LOOONG time. I just picked up this car to save my 911turbo & turbo928 from excessive miles: I think it has a 1.7 in it, but unsure...at least it's still fuel injected & runs pretty well.

2 things: it has a high idle, ~1600rpm or so: knowing more complicated EFI systems, Can I assume that I can just lower the set-screw on the throttle body to lower it, assuming I have good vacuum & hence, no vacuum leaks that are assisting with the higher idle?

Are there other things to look for with higher idle? Started the car after 4 days last night: idled at about 700 until it was warm, then was up to about 1600 again.

Thanks in advance, Mark
'74 911 RSR 3.6
Old 04-19-2007, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
It is likely you have a vacuum leak. Hoses can look good, and not be.

If it is a 1.7 or 2.0 it will be a D-jet. Change out the fuel hoses, you don't know how old they are, you might want to put the fuel pump in the front too, relatively straightforward and not a bad idea
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 04-19-2007, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Architecture & Porsche's

The fuel pump is in front, so the hoses may have been replaced: calling the mechanic tomorrow to see what he's recently done to the car.

How do I tell what size the engine is & what EFI is on it? Thanks, will replace the vacuum lines this weekend.
'74 911 RSR 3.6
Old 04-19-2007, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
King Broinyo

If it's a 2.0L, the throttle body will be on the top of the intake plenum and the air cleaner will be rectangular.

if it's a 1.7L, the throttle body will be on the side of the intake plenum and it will have a circular air filter.

another way to check is where the intake runners bolt to the head.

2.0L's use three studs, 1.7L's use four studs.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Architecture & Porsche's

ah, the rectangular air box, I remember those now. I have a round one. D'oh!
'74 911 RSR 3.6
Old 04-19-2007, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up sounds like...

Auxilary Air Regulator---as I understand it, is a big intentional vacuum leak to increase idle at cold start. constant 12v with key closes it within a couple mins, check voltage to it, then pull off hose when warm. If it doesnt restrict flow completely, it isn't working properly. I got one working again by boiling it and smacking it around. It wasn't available here last I looked.
If it is stuck closed the timing was probably advanced to compensate so that it would idle when cold. if so fix reg, retime and then adjust idle screw.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: