Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question another brake question- coming out of long storage

The 1975 rolling chassis I purchased in December has been off the road since 1991. The car has been stored inside all that time but it appears it hasn't had brake fluid in it for a long time. I am converting to 911 front struts,brakes,rotors etc. and will rebuild the rear calipers. My question is regarding the master cylinder, after all this time is there a chance it's still good? Until I remove the bottom cover and look around I don't know what it looks like. I assume if it is "dry" with no fluid in it I can assume it's toast? Worth rebuilding or just purchase another? Suggestions?
Old 04-20-2007, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I'd just get another one pre-emptively. It is very unlikely to have no brake fluid in it--some almost always gets left behind when you drain the system (intentionally or otherwise). Any fluid that is there will suck water out of the air, and will rust anything rust-able it sits on for too long.

Rust + precision-machined surfaces == Bad News.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-20-2007, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Dave in your opinion is it worth the "upgrade" to go with a 19mm master cylinder or stick with the stock 17 ? I will be running 911 M calipers up front and either stock 914/4 or 911 M in the rear. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Larger MC will move more fluid for the same amount of pedal travel, which translates into more braking for less pushing, firmer pedal. Can't remember the formula, but I seem to remember area squared in there somewhere, so you can get a pretty significant change.

I personally would stay with stock rear calipers, as most of braking is from front and stock rears should be adequate. You will want to rebuild them or what i would do is get some Eric rebuilt. Rebuilding brake calipers is not my idea of fun though.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 04-21-2007, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If you've got 911 calipers, use the 911 (19mm) master cylinder.

--DD

Old 04-21-2007, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
King Broinyo

you dont want the stock 17mm cylinder in there anyway. Very soft pedal. The 19mm is a direct bolt in swap and really makes a nice difference in feel. Just bleed the system well. I use the ATE Super blue and just pump the brakes until nothing but blue flows out.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Groucho Marxist

Garage
I will be putting a 19 mm master on my otherwise stock 914 when I put the rebuilt calipers on it. I don't know why you would not do this. I think I might like the vented fronts, seems like it would be worthwhile.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 04-22-2007, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
The only difference is feel, really. I am now quite used to my 19mm MC, but I don't think I'd have a problem with the 17mm one, either. You have to push 25% harder with the 19 to get the same braking force as with the 17, but the pedal moves 25% further with the 17 than with the 19... The pedal feels harder, but the only thing that's changed is the "leverage" between your foot and the brake pads.

--DD

Old 04-22-2007, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: