Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Steel Flare Replicas....any takers?

Old 08-06-1998, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Briefly, a certain supplier mentioned on the 914 lists that they would offer 914/6 or 916 flares at $650/set of four if people would be willing to put down a deposit. Said supplier wouldn't reply to requests that a fair and equitable deposit/quality/purchase policy be developed so customers would be guaranteed to get what they wanted with no hassles. Said supplier recieved LOTS of hate mail posted to same said lists. Product and pricing idea is a great one, customer support seems lacking due to no replies for reasonable purchase policy.

Long and short of it, Hey Wayne, sounds like a business opportunity. Lots of interest on the lists to buy flares at that affordable $650/set. Tooling will set you back between $13-20K. You've developed a rep for excellent customer service, this product would be a HOT ticket!! (Hey, YOU offer it, and I'm in line NOW!!!!)

Okay Pelican Bulletin Board users, you've probably seen all the posts on other 914 lists, are you with me?????
Old 08-06-1998, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Don't think I haven't thought about it. However, at $20K for the tooling plus a bunch of other dollars for the manufacture of each flare, and that would add up to be big bucks. Don't forget, that despite this kick-butt website, we are still a startup company, and I'm sure you know what that means (not too much $$ floating around)...

I personally would purchase a set of steel flares for $650. Has anyone talked to Restoration Design about this?

-Wayne
Old 08-06-1998, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Perhaps a cooperative method of financing this with some of your customer base might work. I understand $ is tight at Pelican, however, I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that customers would be VERY willing to put down a substantial deposit with you guys because of your excellent reputations. 100 people at $250/piece, or 50 at $500 would be a nice chunk of the tooling and production costs. Lets see, $18K for tool, $5K for a roll of good steel, maybe $150/set cost to Pelican
for 50 sets first order.....thats $30,500. The deposits ($25K) would get the order rolling with the tool being made and the steel bought, then the balance paid by the first 50 "pioneers" (with perhaps a 'special' price for the loan of their money), and then all the Johnn-come-latelies above the first 50 orders to keep the crank rolling.

I haven't ignored your reference to Restoration Parts, only I don't know who they are, and you've got that most valuable of assets (as far as the web goes) an excellent reputation. Seeing your resume, I am comfortable talking one ME to another that Quality will be paramount.

Now if only we could find someone with a set of Pristine Flares to digitize..................

BTW, still no reply of any kind from that "other supplier" regarding offering some sort of reasonable deposit agreement, too bad

Old 08-07-1998, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Speaking for myself, and very likely my brother 'DMAN007' & local PCA treasurer, count us in on 3 sets of the first batch of 50.
Old 08-07-1998, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hey, thanks Victor, now thats 4 sets spoken for...
come-on Wayne, if you hit up the lists with the same proposal as "that other place", I'll bet they BOMB you with positive replies.

Old 08-07-1998, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

It's way to early in our business cycle to attempt a project like this. The potential losses (compared to our startup cash position) are enormous. I would be willing to consult with someone else if they were going to make the flares (I need a set too) as a manufacturing ME.

-Wayne
Old 08-07-1998, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

count me in for a pair
Old 09-22-1998, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Likewise for me, I have no problem with a deposit, but prefer it go through a company such as yours Wayne.
Old 09-23-1998, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

All this interest is very amazing to me, since a lot of people ask questions about converting their car to a six, but then really don't do it. The 914-6 product line that we offer is not a very hot seller. A lot of inquiries, a lot of questions, but when people consider the costs, they balk.

I saw an ad in the Porsche rags for these flares from said supplier, so it looks like they have gone ahead and made them anyways...

-Wayne
Old 09-24-1998, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I think one of the first things that would be good for getting your feet wet in the manufacturing area. And would contribute better to the operation of our 914's would be starting with the Auxilary air bypass valve.
They are relativly simple devices, I took one apart and it looks like a heavy gauge sheetmetal cup with a ceramic thingy inside and a wire element. The valve itself would probably be the hardest to manufacture, it seems like its a cast iron unit that is machined. It could be made out of aluminum?, but my point is that there are other things that we should start with. What do you guys think?
Old 10-19-1998, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Actually, there is a replacement valve for the discontinued Aux Air Valve. There are a few adapters that are needed to use this valve, and we are working on these hoses and adapters for a kit...

Stay tuned...

-Wayne
Old 10-24-1998, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: