Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil Cooler suggestions?

Where to put one? (how many different places are there?)
What kind to get?
$ is an issue but I'd like one that cools well for a reasonable (heh, yeah) price.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Possible locations:
Up front, in the nose.
In one fender or another.
In back, under the rear trunk floor.
On the engine lid.

For the best cooling, you want the cooler to get a good clean supply of high-pressure cold air. The best place for that is in the nose. The downside is you will need to make some ducting to get the air to flow through the cooler, and you usually wind up losing some trunk space doing that. Plus you have to run the lines all that way.

Fender installations can be done, but unless you have a very special need for it they're not really worth the bother. You have to run almost as much line for a front fender install as for a nose installation, and the air flow in the fenders is not very good. Plus they're more subject to rocks and other debris there.

Under the trunk floor can make the mounting relatively simple, but there isn't very clean air and most of it is warm. However, I know some people have been quite successful with that kind of setup. It's best to have a fan to get air through the cooler.

The engine lid setup is the easiest to do, and the lines are the shortest. But it doesn't get that much cool clean air, and it does tend to pre-heat your induction and cooling air a bit. Still, it's usually better than nothing...

Cooler size depends on how much heat you're trying to get rid of, where the cooler is, and so on.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-08-2007, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have a cooler. Someone point me to some good solutions for sandwich plates and thermostats, both combined units and separate. I have seen them all over but it would be great to get one that fits well! :-)

MorriE

Gone but remembered- 89 944S2 SR Coupe, 76 912E "Green Rat", 67 912 outlaw, 68 912 Coupe, 87 924S, 02 Ford Explorer - you served us well!
Old 09-09-2007, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks Dave,
A fan will be part of my setup and I think under the trunk or the lid is probably where I'll set it up.
Eddie
Old 09-09-2007, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Dave,
do you have any pics of the setup for under the trunk or know of any links with pics?

Also, what's the average size cooler volume. How much more oil will I need to add?
Thanks
Eddie
Old 09-10-2007, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: