Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 Alternator belt installation

Noticing the red lite and my volt meter reading between 8-10, it was obvious that I had a electrical issue. Upon further review with the engine compartment, I noticed that my belt was broken. Any good suggestion of how to quickly replace the belt on this 1975 2.0L 914
Old 09-08-2007, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Two ways: Either the "book" method, or the "quick and dirty" method.

Book method--
Locate the two oval plastic plugs on the left-front corner of the engine tin near the alternator. Pull them out. Loosen the clamp nut (usually takes a large-ish Allen wrench) so you can swing the alternator up and inward. Fit your new belt around the fan pulley, then around the alternator pulley. Push the alt out and down while tightening the clamp nut. You want the belt to give about 1/2" under "moderate thumb pressure", I believe.

Quick and dirty method--
Hook the new belt around the fan pulley, and as far around the alternator pulley as it will go. Crank the starter. If you did it right and are lucky, the rotation of the engine will pull the belt into the right location.

Note that the Q&D method is harder on the belt, and may put extra stress on other parts (e.g., alternator bearings) as well!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-08-2007, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

DD,

Thanks for the quick advise!! I'm concerned about the brackets that I would think need to come off, or loosened up, before the belt can go around the crankshaft?? It looks like it is bolted across the pulley and attached either side and top and bottom??

Because of the location of the I can't really tell.

Any further suggestions?

Peter
Old 09-09-2007, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Sounds like you have a smog pump? If so, you will need to unbolt the support for the smog pump pulley to get the belt in. I'm not sure if you will have to unbolt the pedestal that holds the pulley itself...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-10-2007, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

DD,

I've removed that smaller belt that might be for the smog pump. Then removed the 10 mm bolts on either side and top side of the bracket. the bracket remains solid so I'm thinking that the larger bolt on the shaft end needs to be removed / loosened to allow the belt to slip behind the bracket.?? My concern is that there may not be enough room to loosen up the main nut before I'm into the metal shield. Any suggestions ??

Peter
517-488-6770
Old 09-10-2007, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave at Pelican Parts View Post
Sounds like you have a smog pump? If so, you will need to unbolt the support for the smog pump pulley to get the belt in. I'm not sure if you will have to unbolt the pedestal that holds the pulley itself...

--DD
DD, I'm I hurting anything by not reinstalling the the smog pump?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

By "largish" Allen wrench, DDD means 6mm. The Cap'n
Old 09-10-2007, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: