Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My Porsche Hates Me (front shift rod)

I had a really productive Saturday afternoon, successfully replacing 5/5 bushings in my 72's shift linkage. Things were going so well that I went ahead and repaired my broken clutch cable tube. While I was in the center tunnel, I vacuumed out everything I could reach (I'm pretty sure I touched 30 year old Nabisco crackers). I guess in the jostling, I managed to somehow thread the front shift rod in between the two fuel lines and also slid it over toward the passenger side so that it was comfortably nestled on the wrong side of the fuel and brake lines. It took me a good hour with a mirror, flashlight, and nearly bleeding cuticles...oh, and a coat hanger to finally get the rod back into the "right position".

So...how in the WORLD would you actually get it out of the tunnel? If I slide it all the way forward, it hits the front with about 1.5" still lacking for exiting the shifter hole. I tried moving it forward and back several times (more Nabs) and gave up for the day.

I guess I don't really HAVE to get it out but I wanted to give it a good cleaning before buttoning things back up.

Help?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would use a couple of old toothbrushes, and a shop vac with a keyboard attachment and just clean it right there. =o)

Hopefully someone with a 72 can answer how to get it out of there for you... It's been awhile since I took mine apart.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: