Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

trannys 901?-915? ?????

i asked the same question on the shoptalkforum and was told to ask you guys.
here it goes
i have a 71 914 and im going to be running a new motor (t4) with about
300hp and maby a tad more tourqe. i know that the 901 are a strong tranny
to a point and i think im pass that point. with the stock 2.0 in it now the gears
are starting to grind a little going into R-1st-2nd and 3rd if its shifted hard.
i woulk like to know what my options are with this tranny . is there another
tranny that i should go with or can i beef up the 901 enough to withstand a
beating form 300 hp at all times. also i hate the way it shifts, and i know
most of it is in the shifter it self so if you have any suggestions for me
please feel free i need all the info i can get.
i also have thought about a 915 but i feel i dont have enough info on it to do it.
i would also like to run an electronic speedo
Old 09-10-2007, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
May just need the shifter bushings changed out or the clutch adjusted. If you don't drive like a jerk it will handle 300 hp for a mighty long time. If you are going to push a TIV to 300 hp, the motor may go before the transmission, depending on how you do things
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 09-11-2007, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Tell us more about your 300HP Type 4 engine...would really like to know how you are getting that HP out of a T-4...

On the 901...the 914-6 race engine was rated at about 220HP and there are many V6 V8 conversions using the 901....it is a good transmission and will hold up if not abused and shifted like it was a dragster...

J
Old 09-11-2007, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

well 300 was kind of a rounded number. its going to be more in the high 200 range (i hope). its a t4 with reworked and turbo preped heads by len hoffman, all the internals are forged units from jake at the t4 store (78mm cw crank 5400 h beam rods 96mm bore)and a t3t4 running about 15 psi of boost all ran by an ms efi kit. as you can see i wont be driving this everyday. i might play with the boost a little. i will let you all know if and when i blow it up. but i hope i dont.

on the other hand i was looking at 915 trannys and wow i didnt know how much thay cost!!! even used. i was thinking about the guys that run v8 and other such motors with these trannys, wich have a lot more tourqe then a t4, and thay get away with it? but dont thay block off first gear. to make a 901 stronger what would need to be done?
Old 09-11-2007, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Like I said, if you don't drive like a jerk, a 901 will hold up fine. I know of many cars with 250-300+ that have been running them for years. Come off the line reasonably, shift deliberately and you will do fine. That and I bought a 901 that worked fine when my friend took it out of the car for $50, including the mounts. I would suggest talking to Dr Evil about it, he rebuilds them.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 09-12-2007, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

olivajeep...
Please keep us posted on the engine progress....sounds very cool....and $$$$....go easy with the boost...
You are right about first gear on the 901....it can be a problem...it is so low to begin with and it is located on the very end of the main shaft...it can be torqued right off...the main thing is not to do any burn outs or dragster power shifting...this is where you get into trouble....even the 915 does not like this....the best thing about the 901 for the 914 is they are still pretty cheap..
Good luck on the project....also take some pictures along the way...

John
Old 09-12-2007, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

thanks for th info. i dont plan on going to crazy with boost, im still using the stock 94mm cyls bored for the forged pistons. as for pics, my dog seems to like my camara more than i do so i will need to get a new one before you see any photos.

what does the alum intermediate plant do other than add support and does it make that much of a diffrerence?? thanks again for the info and i will try to get some pics
Old 09-12-2007, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The Aluminum intermediate plate keeps the main and drive shafts from flexing at their bearings....the OEM plate is magnesium just like the case.....if too much torque is applied the bearings sometimes go and or first gear will twist right off the shaft...first gear is on the opposite side of the immediate plate from the other gears....it is the one that usually has the problem....
Old 09-13-2007, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

who has a good rebuild kit for the 901. i think i will do the intermediate plate what would some another good mod to make a nice solid tranny.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Talk to Otto. He runs 350 HP in his 914 tube frame racer with a 901. He rebuilt my stock 901 for my euro 3.2. Torque biased differential. Tranny cooler. Intermediate plate. Plus a bunch of other s***. It's bulletproof. Pushed it to 11/10's for 30 minute run sessions when it was 102 at Willow Springs. No problemo. O'course, I now have more $$$ invested in my tranny than some guys have in their cars...
Old 09-13-2007, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: