Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

130 Horsepower?

Is it possible to get 130 reliable horsepower from a type 4 engine and if so any suggestions on what to purchase??? I would really like to keep it 2 Litres
Old 09-11-2007, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes and more. Even 200. Just bring $$$.
See aircooledtechnology.com for some of the best kits and turnkey engines on the market.

What is your budget, and how much of the work do you want to do yourself?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I sent them an email awhile ago got no response, I really want to know if there is any way make some more horsepower with mystock engine, maybe cam heads and exhaust. So I was trying to get input from some owners who have built their own motors. Just for the record I understand horsepower cost money but in this case I am trying to introduce a sixteen year old into the hobby without wrecking his college fund.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Give it a few minutes you will get a sales pitch from Aircooled Tech
Old 09-11-2007, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Without bumping up the displacement to 2270, 130hp is going to be on the fringe... Cam, new performance heads (HAM or Raby), exhaust (Tangerine), AND the right carbs or aftermarket FI tuned to work with the cam should get you close.

Just that much is going to cost quite a bit. Still don't know what your budget is or how much of the work you want to do yourself, so hard to call. Even with your own labor I would expect it to take more than $5000.

Last edited by RandyLok; 09-11-2007 at 03:49 PM..
Old 09-11-2007, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

130 hp; Yes... Break the college fund? Also Yes...

Unfortunately, rebuilding a 2.0 Type IV is not like throwing parts at a 1600 cc VW... IF you want reliability! Heads are a big and expensive issue; most original 2.0 heads will have cracks radiating out from the valve seats...

Jake is not going to be interested in how to do a rebuild 'On The Cheap"...

I believe the motto is "Do It Right, Or Don't Do It At All"

So, yes, you can get the 130 (or more) HP... and reliability...

But, you are going to bust the College Fund all to heck!

Soooo... now what???
1968 911L, '73.5 911T, '75 911S SA, '77 911S Targa, and so forth, thru a '90 S2 Cab...
Old 09-11-2007, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wow that was some response, The guy is trying to introduce his son in the hobby so he has a budget, why the harsh response? I thought we were doing this for enjoyment and it sounds like he was asking a legitimate question.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

They told him the truth. no sugar coating, no BS.
They could have lied to him but that wouldn't do him any favors.
The only way to substantially increase the HP on one of these engines is to turbocharge it or spend cubic dollars.

Go with carbs, cam, and exhaust and you might get an extra 15 or so hp but that's about the limit without surgery to the heads and internals. It won't get you to 130 IMO.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I never said I did not want to spend money, I was asking for suggestions for a build up of a 2.0 litre engine. I just finished having a V12 engine rebuilt for a Lambo and have no problem justifying cost for a project. I did say upfront that this is for a 16 year old who is learning about his car and is going to try to build his motor, I will make sure he has good parts to start, IE heads with no cracks in them.

It would be nice if this was not turned into an Ego debate when I was humbly asking for help

Thank you again

John
Old 09-11-2007, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I believe Raby has a kit for about $5G's. You will do better in the long run with a motor that has some R&D behind it, and is designed and built to work together as a unit. If you are going to build something, I think he has a 2270 kit for the 2 liter that uses the stock injection, but I could be wrong. You will also be happier with a modern FI system that is programmable.

Aristotle
Old 09-11-2007, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Here's a sure fire recipe to get 130 reliable hp (in very round numbers)...

Raby kit: $4000
Tangerine header/exhaust: $1600
SDS EFI system: $1000

Lots of labor, but a fun father/son project.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
what Randy said

Aristotle
Old 09-11-2007, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I just rebuilt my 2.0L, upgraded it to 2056cc + Webcam. The engine already has SSI + Burch. I added 944NA Motronic and a Wasted spark which we developed for the 944. On the engine Dyno, we made 112-115HP. This is with initial base tuning and still Normally Aspirated! The engine has a low CR of 7.5:1 as I plan on turbocharging it.
With a bit more compression, 120bhp will not be a problem with very basic mods and a good tune.

Prior to installing the Motronic EFI, I was running the factory D-jet. It ran well, and made 105-110bhp. I upgraded the EFI to get full fuel & Ignition control.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I don't have any tech advice to ad; I just wanted to toss in a couple of pennies on the father son project. =o) Sounds like it is going to be fun! My first car was the 72 914 and my dad and I worked on it together... It was a great time working on it with my dad; I used to have a picture of him somewhere sitting in the back trunk changing a headgasket.(with the trunk lid off, and the engine lid open) (it had watercooled engine transplant)
So... yeah. kudos to you and your kid for building some fun memories.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I did not buy a complete kit from Jake, just some of his parts for my budget rebuild. 2056 with the 9550 cam stock djet, 9 to 1 compression, should be in the 115 - 120 hp range. That is close to your goal and really brings the car to life. Make sure you have the heads rebuilt by someone who knows type IV heads.

Go for it.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

First off, we reply to every email that we receive and in general thats at least 150 per day. If you didn't get a response we either did not receive yiour email or you did not receive our reply which does happen. Email is our primary means of communication, but sometimes emails do not get routed to the appropriate address and get lost in the system.

Quote:
We don't have a single "sales person" on the staff. All I do is provide facts and allow the person who is interested with the ability to research the topic himself- thats not a sales pitch.

130HP??? Reliably??

The TIV engine in my 912E was built 5 years ago and made 125HP in it's very minimally modified state of 2056cc, RAT camshaft and 2.0 heads with no port work, only upgraded springs and other valvetrain components.

That was 130,000 miles ago and a life time filled with purpose neglect, and one oil change that aspanned 23,000 miles as well as several other 10-16,000 mile oil changes. I built the engine mostly from used parts and even used some never before tested components inside it, it has NEVER let me down and has seen over 500 miles of Road Course action doing DE events. It's last valve adjustment was February of 2003, since then I have checked the valve adjustments ate oil services but still have not needed to adjust their clearances (the beuty of our cryogenic enhancement program most certainly!)

Now..... This amount of power with factory EFI is not possible, my best combination for stock EFI makes 110 HP and thats it's maximum output safely.

An engine kit is simple, filled with support and very comprehensive- but not for everyone. Those that choose kits have the simplest projects with the least amount of guesswork and best outcome because they just assemble the combination we have developed for them. There is no guesswork on assembly, clearances and we can even dictate tuning, lubricants and RPM ranges for ed line and shift points.

If you want 130HP you can do it without a kit, and its not that difficult. In today's world 130HP is nothing for us with most engines generating a minimum of 175 HP and most approaching 200 reliably for street conditions.

The heads are the main aspect of this engine, there are two people in the entire country that have proven to me that they know these heads- don't trust anyone else.

And thats not a sales pitch, its reality that can be backed up by doing searches most anywhere on the net.
US Patents:8,992,089/ 9,416,697/ 9,687,974/ 9,909,369
'64 356C Outlaw,'76 912E,95 993,89 964 &'88 Carrera

Last edited by NOTASIX; 09-12-2007 at 09:02 AM..
Old 09-12-2007, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I wish my dad wanted to do this. Whatever you do, it will be cool.

I can't wait until my kids are old enough. My 7 year old really wants to add cannons and missiles. My 3 year old daughter smiles a lot, but she doesn't want me to start the car because it is too loud. My youngest is teething and just tries to bite the dashboard.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 09-12-2007, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
I wish my dad wanted to do this. Whatever you do, it will be cool.

I can't wait until my kids are old enough. My 7 year old really wants to add cannons and missiles. My 3 year old daughter smiles a lot, but she doesn't want me to start the car because it is too loud. My youngest is teething and just tries to bite the dashboard.
For sure!

LOL!!! Ah yes, enjoy it Brother... They grow up so fast.

Cheers.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarKoBrow View Post
if you build a better mousetrap, the world will beat a path to your door. If you were booked with work for months out, with more folks lining up, induced by your reputation and fine work, how much money would you waste on sales pitches

Aristotle
Old 09-12-2007, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Huh?
US Patents:8,992,089/ 9,416,697/ 9,687,974/ 9,909,369
'64 356C Outlaw,'76 912E,95 993,89 964 &'88 Carrera
Old 09-13-2007, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: