Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 Rear Camber

My first Post!

About 3 weeks ago, I came across a 914 just north of my home... Wasn't in the market for a car yet, but I loved it! Its a '74 1.8 with the original fuel injection intact.

Over the past few weeks, I have spent some time getting it running the best I know how, and it does run well now. I have put new tires, new fuel lines, rebuilt rear calipers, etc..

My question is regarding the rear camber on the 914's... When I bought the car, there was a definate sag in the rear. I replaced the springs with new 100# stock springs. That definately helped the sag, but it still looks like there is a camber problem when it is sitting. The wheels tend to angle in at the top of the wheel well. Is this normal?

Also, if anyone can help me out with the correct procedure to set the timing on the 1.8 with the L-Jetronic FI system, I would be very appreciative!

Mike
Old 09-13-2007, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Camber: A little bit of negative camber (tops of wheels lean in toward the centerline of the car) is normal, and a good thing. Stock specs are for 0 camber front, -1/2 degree rear. I like to push those to -1.0/-1.5 (F/R) for an aggressively-driven street 914. More than that is getting into the realm of "racing" alignment, which is not really appropriate for the street.

Timing on a 1.8: Let the engine warm up to operating temperature. Disconnect and plug the one or two vacuum lines going to the distributor. Run the engine at idle RPM (~900) and check that the timing mark at the very rear of the fan is visible through the notch up inside the rear of the timing hole. You'll need to remove the round plastic plug from the top of the fan shroud to see.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-13-2007, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Dave,

Thanks for the info on the camber and timing.. The camber question really puts my mind at ease. All I saw was a way to always have tires that were worn at a weird angle!

Anyway, concerning the timing, I will disconnect the hoses from the distributer... BUT... What color mark do I set the timing to? There is a very visible red mark on the impeller and I thought there is supposed to be a white one, but it seems to be kind of elusive. Also, one last question... at least for today.. WHERE is the bracket or nut to tighten or loosen the distributer?? I am at a loss for seeing it!

Thanks in advance!
Mike
Old 09-14-2007, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The nut that you loosen is a long (~2") 10mm wide hex that lies along the top of the crankcase, just to the left of the distributor.

If you have a red mark and a white one, you may have a 1.7 or 2.0 fan. It is probably a good idea to verify TDC (there are marks on the flywheel that are visible through the notches at the top and the bottom of the bellhousing; a mirror can help see them) and check the template in our timing Tech Article.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-14-2007, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: