Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Recovering dismantler

Garage
Exclamation lost all gears on a tail shifter

Replaced all bushings a few weeks back. Out driving yesterday and started to have trouble shifting - started by hitting 2nd instead of 4th, no problem down shifting - then all attempts to get 1st got 3rd - trying to start in 2nd got reverse. Then lost everything except 3rd - which it was stuck in! Managed to limp home. Disconnected linkage at tail shifter and shift pattern on stick is fine - still can't shift at the linkage - but can move through neutral plane. Dropped the inspection plate and don't see anything obvious - clutch is working fine - fortunately !

Question - is this a sure sign of the pin on the shift lever having sheared, and how do you replace without removing the end cover?
72 - 1.7 - tail shift.
Land Rover Discovery
Bayliner Ciera 2655
Old 09-16-2007, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

neil, on the rear and bottom of the trans there is a small access plate near where the gear selector enters the trans. a small roll pin secures the selector to a shaft. when it fails, your car will exhibit those symptoms. have a catch basin handy as gear lube pours out when you remove the plate. order 2 pins and the correct gasket before getting started.

k
Old 09-23-2007, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Recovering dismantler

Garage
Kevin, I have removed the plate, and the pin looks intact. I reconnected the linkage and can now shift all gears fine, maybe teh pin sheared and then jammed again.
I have some spare pins on the way to me, so i may try and replace anyway - but how the heck do you get the old pin out and the new one driven in without removing the whole rear cover?
Land Rover Discovery
Bayliner Ciera 2655
Old 09-24-2007, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

you need a narrow punch to drive the pin out. if you stick your face directly under where the linkage enters the trans you should see a little plate. 2"x3" square? look in your haynes. p86, fig5.21, item #9 is the cover plate. the lock pin is #11. rotate item #12 to expose the pin. when i had a car with a t.s. in it, the shift pattern would keeping going away and then stopped working entirely. i was told by atleast 3 shops i needed a new trans. when i discovered the diagram in the haynes and the boken pin, that was pretty much when stopped letting other people take my money to work on the 914.

k
Old 09-24-2007, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Were you really able to remove the pin with the the tail cover installed? I was not able to rotate the shift lever fore or aft enough to get a straight shot at it, so I removed the rear end of the tranny and clamped it on my bench before driving out the pin. It wouldn't have been such a big deal, but the reverse idler gear, etc with several expensive looking bearings and bushings also came along with it. (It's all buttoned up now and working fine, BTW).

But seriously, how did you get a straight enough shot to tap the old pin out and install the new one?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

yes i managed to do it. this was years ago. the pin had completely broken. iirc, i disconnected the linkage at the rear. infact i did it twice. the first time i put the shift lever (#14 in fig 5.21) on upside down. fortunately i had ordered 2 pins.

k
Old 09-27-2007, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Recovering dismantler

Garage
I'm trying it this weekend - i'll let you know how it goes.
Neil
Land Rover Discovery
Bayliner Ciera 2655
Old 09-27-2007, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

what was the result? did you find your gears?

k
Old 10-13-2007, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Recovering dismantler

Garage
No way could i turn the linkage enough to get at the pin! I'm convinced it is not sheared, I went back and readjusted the coupling in the tunnel and i have all gears again - time will tell if this was it! I did set the shift so it goes much closer to the dash in R, 2 & 4, and not so close to the floor in 1, 3 and 5 - which seems better.
Land Rover Discovery
Bayliner Ciera 2655
Old 10-15-2007, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: