Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

no fuel pump electricity

My fuel pump is working intermittently.

I know the fuel pump works, I have a jumper wire bypassing the fuel pump relay, and all of the stock wiring so I could get the car home.

What it was doing before it decided to completely not work:

Driving around town, it would work fine for awhile. When it would start to heat up, the fuel pump would cut out and the engine would die. It progressively got worse until yesterday, when I went in to the bank for 5 minutes and whenI came out, it wouldn't start again. (that's what got me to the point of the jumper wire to the fuel pump... when I figured out it was the fuel pump causing my intermittent lack of power)

I have located the black and pink/red wire that goes from the fuel pump to somewhere in the engine compartment. It dissapeared into a loom of wires and I know which wire it is from about the middle of the floorboard area.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I assume this is djet, since you have a 2.0 in your signature. Check the relay board, the fuse for your pump is there, may be dirty, corroded, etc. Possibly the the board itself has a short. Look under the board, may have to remove the coating to check the tracks.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

yes, it is a 2.0; thank you for your help.

I messed around with the relay board and got it working... now I just need to pinpoint the exact issue.

Is there a diagram on here somewhere for the relay board? I've been looking, but haven't come across one yet.

THanks again!
Old 09-20-2007, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The 73 relay board diagram should be close enough for your 76:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Electrical/914_electric_73E.jpg

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-21-2007, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
King Broinyo

Try unplugging the Aux. Air Valve when it does it. I had a similar problem years ago and it drove me nuts. Apparently, the fuel pump and the AAR use the same circuit for power, and if the AAR goes out, it shorts the circuit.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostril Cheese View Post
Try unplugging the Aux. Air Valve when it does it. I had a similar problem years ago and it drove me nuts. Apparently, the fuel pump and the AAR use the same circuit for power, and if the AAR goes out, it shorts the circuit.
Where's that?

Dave, thank you for the link!

-Jim
Old 09-21-2007, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The AAR is just to the left front of the manifold (or "plenum"). It has two vacuum hoses going into it from slightly different angles. Check the "EFI Hose Diags" link on the left side of the main Pelican page for a drawing of the general layout of the EFI hoses and pieces. The single wire that operates it comes out of the bottom of the part. It's a red wire that plugs into a white wire at a box-shaped connector. You can unplug it there.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-22-2007, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: