Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to PeterCarrera84
I think I want to buy a 914.....but..

...I own an 84 Carrera , which I love dearly, stock other than a few minor, things, chip, by pass, momo, H-4's , short shift, small stuff.
What should I watch when concidering a 914? Will it matter much that it has been painted another color? ( other than the original) What should I pay on average? if there is such a thing? are there any benefits in buying one of the latest models like a 75 or 76 ? Any reason I should not get the biggest engine available the 2 L. ?? What is the best source for finding a 914 ?
I have always wanted a 914. but ended buying that 911 , I am glad I did , a dream come tru !! . It realy is a driving machine.!! Could I do extended road trips like I have with the 911? Would I want to ? after driving the 911 cross country, I can't wai to do it again.
This may all sound silly to you all, but there is a "little boy in all of us " I think. I wrote as it came to mind.

Your comments , will be appreciated. anyway.

happy driving, best regards, Peter

PS I would like to get it now. life is to short to procrastinate !!
03 Boxster S sold
98 944 S2 G Red,
Old 09-21-2007, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes! go for the 2L. There is a definite difference.

The first place I started for my latest 914 is:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914tech_articles.htm

The pelican guys have put together a really nice list of articles that point out a few of the cars' 'personality traits'.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Oh, and if you take your 911 cross country again soon (ie before the 914) hit Yellowstone/Jackson Hole/Cody and I'll let you check out my 914. =o)
Old 09-21-2007, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Rust is the biggest concern
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 09-22-2007, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I memorized Dave Darling's FAQ before I bought mine. You should, too.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_Darling_FAQ/914_Darling_FAQ.htm
Old 09-22-2007, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Most people seem to prefer the '73 and '74 models as they have the most power without the weight if the big bumpers. My friend and I did 3200 miles (LA-Boston) in 64 hours pretty much non stop and I wasn't all that sore, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I'd suggest that you take along someone familiar with 914s too look at any car you are considering buying. Theres a lot of places something can go wrong (DAPOs are everywhere)

And since it hasn't been said yet... Don't worry about which motor comes in the car, you already have a great parts car.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
RJMII, thanks for the input, and the rest of you I appreciate it very much. What to do if the car is out of town ? Who do you trust.? Jim, we actualy are planing our next cross country to take place in the further no. states. Winnepeg Ca. and then work our way to the Glaciers, Tetons, Yellowstone, Cal. and ?? back.// This will probably take place next July1st. I have a flower shop and thats the slowest time usualy. and one of the hotest in this part of Florida. Thats when we make our escape. (: Plus it will probably be a better for the engine, much cooler weather wise.(We did the so, route Texas , NM, Az, HOT HOT...
Happy driving, thanks again, Peter
03 Boxster S sold
98 944 S2 G Red,
Old 09-22-2007, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Things to look for:

1-- rust
2-- rust
3-- rust
4-- rust

It's the big killer of these cars. Particularly prone is the "hell hole", the area in the right-front corner of the engine bay down at the bottom, as battery acid tends to collect there along with water.

Color-change cars don't seem to take a huge hit in value, though a half-assed job (e.g., all interior panels, door jambs, etc. are the old color) isn't that well regarded.

Values are increasing. I used to guesstimate $5K for a nice 2.0 driver, now that's up a few grand or maybe more. It's not uncommon for really nice ones to go for $10K or more! As the prices go up, it seems like there is a little more interest in originality, though that doesn't seem to be common yet.

The 2.0 engines tend to be more expensive to work on, particularly the way that they crack cylinder heads. Fixing that can get pricey pretty quickly, but that's usually only done during a rebuild. Then again, if you're used to 911 engine rebuild prices, any 914 engine work will seem cheap...

There are parts that are not available new any more. The red/white US-spec rear turn signal lenses (the amber/red/white european ones are though!), some of the EFI parts, trim pieces, and so on. Happily, there is a pretty decent supply of used parts still, and a good sized fan base who want to keep their cars on the road. Some of whom are very creative and pretty good at making things!

These are absolutely insanely fun cars to drive. Nowhere near the nice long-distance cruiser the 911 is (IMHO), but much more fun to toss around a twisty piece of road or a race track.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-22-2007, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Dave, for all those important facts. The car I am interested in , has the same wheels which I notice on your 914 , but the tires could use replacement if I drove it home, 1400 miles. What is the biggest size I can fit ? 195/60 or 50/15's ? the wheels apear to be the same ones you have on your 914 in the autox pic.// next he mantioned that his mechanik said that the affected area is only serious if I was to race it, then the area would need to be reinforced. Its a 75 model, with a 2L. the apearance group(black) area and targa top are all painted the car color. Again thanks for your input Dave,
all the best , Peter
03 Boxster S sold
98 944 S2 G Red,
Old 09-22-2007, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The four-bolt Fuchs wheels will fit 205 on most but not all 914s. Some will rub on one rear fender or the other. You can pull the offending fender out, or stick with 195s. 205/60-15 and 195/65-15 seem to be the "default" tire sizes, as they match the stock overall diameter reasonably well.

Sounds like you're talking about rust, possibly in the suspension pick-up points? Not uncommon, but it could be bad news.

You can get a member of this BBS, or the 914world or 914club ones, to take a look at a car you're considering long-distance buying. It can be veyr worthwhile to get another set of eyes on the car.

There's nothing wrong with a 75, but they are down on power a bit (mostly due to the miserable excuse for an exhaust they wound up with!) and the bumpers weigh and awful lot, so they're not the ones that "everybody wants". The good news is that the earlier-style exhaust bolts right up, if the exhaust nuts can be convinced to come off, and you can swap bumpers with only a little more work.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-22-2007, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Buy the best 2L if you don't want to do any work.

Buy the best body otherwise.

I don't think you will be impressed by the power of any of these cars in stock form. Building a slightly more aggressive engine is probably the ticket. I think you could do alright for a 10-15,000 dollar budget. Find a good car and then rebuild it and restore it. Then you will have a car that rips, will last, and looks good.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 09-22-2007, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Any Pelicans living in Lincoln Nebraska ? to check a 914 out for me ?? if possible ? thank you in advance for your help,
Peter
03 Boxster S sold
98 944 S2 G Red,
Old 09-24-2007, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

JW Apostate

If I were me...

Buy a really nice 1.7 or 1.8 motored car. Do a SIX conversion ASAP!

I really enjoy mine!

I bought my '74 2.0 for $2200, did my conversion for $4000 and sold the 2.0 motor for $1500.

KT
'74 914-6 2.6 SS #746
'01 Boxster
'73 914
Old 09-24-2007, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
David Mc, that must have been a super road trip !! in the 914. I know I enjoyed mine in July 7300 plus in 3 weeks (camping included) , just the adrenaline flow kept me "kool" !!!
Thanks for all your comments.
03 Boxster S sold
98 944 S2 G Red,
Old 09-26-2007, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I bought a 6 cyl in Minn. got off the plane paid the guy got in the car and drove home to So. CA. Great little car on the highway. Lots of easy driving, lots of room for everything one person or two.

Six not Four
Gene
912 coupe (current)
914/6 (current)
Old 09-26-2007, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

1970 1.7 value?

Hello,

I am also interested in a 914 and this is my first time. I drove a friend's 914 and was very impressed by the handling.

I found a 1970 914 with the original 1.7 engine and 111,000 miles. It was repainted in the original color about 6 years ago and it looks decent, but not great. The interior is okay with worn carpets. It has chrome bumpers and fog lights. No rust as far as I can see (CA car). It was converted to a side shifter.

What do you think it would be worth?

Are the 1.7 engines terrible and not worth buying? Should I limit my search to 2.0 cars?

Thanks,
Early 911S Registry #494
R Gruppe #167
Old 09-29-2007, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Bert,
IMHO, a running 1.7 is better than any other engine that's not running. If the price is right, don't worry so much about the size of the motor.

I've only driven three 914s and one was only for a couple of minutes, my 2.0L six, a friends 1.7L and another friends 3.0L six. The 3L was way too fun and somewhat scary compaired to the others. My six has a good edge over my friends 1.7 but not so much that I'd put up with all of the other issues my car had ccompared to his if I had to do it over again. So, drive several and buy the best quality car you can that fits your budget. Worry about the size of the motor last. It's also the easiest problem to fix later.

Peter,
Yes it was an awesom trip. I'd dying to do it again. Shoot, I'd just be happy to have a running 914 now anyway. Going coast to coast in an old sports car and not knowing what can happen at any moment is what's life's about!
Old 09-30-2007, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Thanks Dave. I think I will drive a few more to get a feel for these cars. The 1.7 is nice, but the price seems a little high at $4500.
Early 911S Registry #494
R Gruppe #167
Old 09-30-2007, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Found a 75/2.0 which Iam very interested in. Will see if he takes my offer. Its carburated,around 90k plus miles, re painted, not original color, needs tires before i drive it home. factory AC not blowing cold. previous to this owner , he had it almost 20 years. Comes with injection system, might need repairing. and other spares. Wish me luck !!! ( : or what is your opinion on a car like this ? I should know somthing friday PM..
03 Boxster S sold
98 944 S2 G Red,
Old 10-04-2007, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Good luck.
Follow the rust advice. Check every nook you can.
So is the injection in a box? and carbs are installed? On my car I have found the injection system to be very tricky one small leak and the idle is bad. No advice on the AC for me that targa top might soon find a new use as a card table top
2012 Cayenne S
Old 10-04-2007, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: