Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cooling system?

So I am brand new to 914's, and know very little about them. I just purchased a 1972 model - that has had an engine swap - thanks to forum members I know I now have a 2.0 motor - not a boxer!

The install is sloppy and incomplete - with parts hanging out all over the place - so I need to straighten it out. It fires right up - but has a bad lope to it!

My first question is the "Cooling System" . The Helms talks about the "thermostat" and it opening some "flaps". I see the big cage fan at the back of the engine - but can someone please orient a stupid newbie? I am concerned because i don't really see any ducting - just the engine laying there staring up at me!

secondly - on the front of the engine is some sort of tank with a plastic plug in the top of it. If I open the plug and put my finger in - it feels like cooling fins - like a radiator - so what is that tank?

Lastly - I need to put in a shifter bushing kit - I can get the kit - would I need instructions - or is it pretty self explanatory. I do have a 2 post lift - so thats gunna help alot!

I'm afraid i will be here alot - asking lots of dumb questions. Thanks in advance for whatever information and experience you can offer!

Carl Johansson
Fresno Ca.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
1st-the big cage fan you see is for the heater

2nd-That tank is the housing for your cooling fan, that draws in air, blows it across motor, particularly the cylinders and oil cooler.

3rd-Go herehttp://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914tech_articles.htm and look in "shift improvements"

Actually spend and hour or two looking around at the tech articles then come back so we can explain whatever does not make any sense.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 09-26-2007, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
So I am brand new to 914's, and know very little about them. I just purchased a 1972 model - that has had an engine swap - thanks to forum members I know I now have a 2.0 motor - not a boxer!

My first question is the "Cooling System" . The Helms talks about the "thermostat" and it opening some "flaps". I see the big cage fan at the back of the engine - but can someone please orient a stupid newbie? I am concerned because i don't really see any ducting - just the engine laying there staring up at me!

secondly - on the front of the engine is some sort of tank with a plastic plug in the top of it. If I open the plug and put my finger in - it feels like cooling fins - like a radiator - so what is that tank?

I'm afraid i will be here alot - asking lots of dumb questions. Thanks in advance for whatever information and experience you can offer!
All the stock Porsche motors are boxers BTW. "Boxer" just means the opposed four layout. Your 2.0 is a boxer. So are Subarus. (Not to be confused with the motor from the "Boxster" car model.)

Caged fan.... Hmmm... The fan housing is at the front of the motor (towards front of car). There are ducts and flaps... We'll dig more into that later I suspect. Tin pieces direct the cooling air over and around the heads.

The plastic plug I'm thinking of is also at the front of the engine, around the fan shroud mentioned above. Not a "tank," but a fan shroud. You pull that and peek through the hole to see the timing mark. I may be misunderstanding what you're talking about since I'm confused about the "caged fan" at the "back" of the motor you mentioned too.

No dumb questions by the way!! Welcome! And keep posting!!!

Last edited by RandyLok; 09-26-2007 at 03:51 PM..
Old 09-26-2007, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Got it - thanks Randy,
So the tank is the shroud around the cooling fan - the "fins were actually the vanes of the fan. and the gates that are opened by the thermostat are connected with the rod running across - correct?

So now here's my next issue.
The fuel injectors seem to be hooked into some ancient form of a computer - in the metal box - correct - transistors and diodes and stuff inside!

So where is your control box mounted in the engine compartment - because mine is just leaning against the cylinders - it isn't mounted to anything. I assume you want to protect it from heat as much as possible - but you are limited by length of wires - correct? So where is it mounted? against the firewall?

Also the canister it is connected to - is that a fuel pressure regulator? and whatever it is - I have the same problem - it's just laying on top of the engine - so where does it mount in the engine bay?

Carl "getting it slowly - very slowly - but getting it" Johansson
Old 09-27-2007, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The ECU (computer brain) mounts on the front of the battery tray.

The fuel pressure regulator mounts on a tab near the driver's side rear of the motor.

Also, I recommend getting a Haynes manual. One of the most useful resources for these things.

Last edited by RandyLok; 09-27-2007 at 10:37 AM..
Old 09-27-2007, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The ECU ("Electronic Control Unit") is an analog computer which controls the EFI. It normally lives on a bracket on the front side of the battery tray, though rust can convince people to move it elsewhere. Air conditioned cars also need to move it; it usually winds up on the firewall in that case.

I'm not sure what the "cannister" you refer to is. If it's big and black, it probably is the charcoal cannister and also hangs off the battery tray.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-27-2007, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: