Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Pictures of later model seat belts

Would someone be so kind as to post up a couple of pictures of the mounting locations for the later model retractors? I'm really confused as to what can be done to upgrade from the fixed belts to retractables. I've seen several aftermarket offerings but the retractors take up 4"L x 4"W x 3"D. That won't fit into the area where the outboard sides of the belts mount now. Putting them there would not allow either seat to slide back all the way without interference.

And here's something else. I'm trying to visualize what's meant when it's suggested that the retractors be mounted "where the later models had them" (I've seen this on other threads). Are they physically mounted between the firewall and the rear pad?

My car is a 72 BUT, I see that the pad is actually relieved on both top corners. Here's a picture of the notch in the pad and one of where my belt is presently anchored.

Any expertise and certainly some pictures or diagrams will be very welcomed on this one.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The late-model retractors do sit between the back pad and the firewall, right where your second picture shows. The backpad has a hollow in it that allows the retractor to fit; the belt goes up to the upper guide (like yours), then down to the lower mounting point. The part that fits into the buckle is in the middle of that, so when it is buckled the belt comes down across your chest and then back across your lap.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-26-2007, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks a bunch for the quick reply, Dave. So, it appears that I have the later model backpad. If that's the case, then I'm in good shape as far as being able to install a retractor back there?

I guess I'm curious as to how far down in that area I need to drill the hole. Is there a dimple or any type of index?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Recovering dismantler

Garage
I just installed later style retractables in exactly the same place as picture 2 shows - I have a 72 as well, and the holes were already ther, and tapped for a large metric thread ( which matched the bolt that came with the seat belts - easy 1 hour job to do both sides, and they work great.
Land Rover Discovery
Bayliner Ciera 2655
Old 09-27-2007, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Well how about that! You have taught me something tonight. I thought it was great that the car had already been upgraded with the latter backpad. After reading your reply, I just took a peek in the engine compartment and I see the square reinforcements and the nuts for the installation of the retractors (the backside of the holes in the firewal). VERY GOOD STUFF. Thank you!

If you don't mind sharing, what brand/supplier of the belts did you go with?
Old 09-27-2007, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
They did a lot of stuff on 914's to make it easier to add options. Prewired for stuff(which makes sense), like the nut in the door for the passenger mirror, mount for the ski rack. Are the seatbelts the same part number as the one for a bug? I bet they would fit.

Do search on seatbelts, seems to me Dave Darling posted a link to a seatbelt refurbish place
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 10-01-2007, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Oh yeah-- http://www.peparts.com , or maybe it was pe-parts.com?

Evidently 944 seat belts will also work (and maybe Rabbit ones!) if you grind the locating pin down somewhat or remove it.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-01-2007, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: