Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Bucking-under 3k

Took the 1.7 D-jet to work today and had the following happen:

Car started fine, ran about 6 miles and it started bucking & hestitating under 3000 rpm's. If I ran it over 3k it seemed fine. I was low( 1/4 tank) on fuel so I put in 5 gallons. Took off from the gas station with the same problem.
The motor is all stock, got the car from Cali in Feb. Did a basic tune & it's ran great.
The tach seemed fine,no drop off, seemed like a fuel problem.
I pointed it toward home and it even popped a few times when dropping to idle. At idle it seemed to stumble a little. Got a clear stretch of road close to home and wound it up to 5000 rpm through a few gears. Throttle responce above 3000 was fine.
Got to my road and upshifted, backed off the throttle, shifted to 4th gear and cruised at 2000-2500 rpm and the bucking was fine. Decided to drive it to work. No bucking or hesitation! It did seem a little low on the idle still?
When I get home tonight I'll get a look at it.
Any ideas for starters? When I got the car I went thru the suspension but didn't do anything besides basic tune & fluids to the drive train. I did have the tank out to put in a front sway bar and drained the tank at that time. Car's been on the road since April and has ran great, trips to Lime Rock (220 miles round trip) without a worry.
Any help & advise would be great.

THANKS!!
Horizontally Apposed
Old 09-27-2007, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
still bucking

Well it's not a bad gas problem. Just went for another ride and it's still bucking-shudering along at lower rpm's. Took it out on the highway and it felt great up to 3 digit speeds.

Any ideas???

Thanks
Horizontally Apposed
Old 09-27-2007, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Possible bad throttle switch. Unplug the the wire going to the switch (on the side of the throttle body) and take the car for a spin. If this corrects the problem then you know the switch is bad. With the switch disconnected if will likely cause some backfiring and farting. Just ignore this and see if the original issue went away.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You might also check to see if the timing is too advanced.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
bucking

I'll give the switch a try. The car's been runnibg great as my sunny day daily driver since April so I'm guessing the advance is ok.
Gotta say I really enjoy the little teener, I only have about 1000 miles on the 911 this year and about 4500 on the 914!
Thanks for the replies, any other thoughts??
Horizontally Apposed
Old 09-27-2007, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Broken wires on the harness at the distributor trigger points caused the same problem for my car. These harnessesget very brittle after 30+ years.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

sounds similar to a problem I had with my 2L when I 1st bought it - it had been lying unused for nearly a year and was very lumpy but you could accelerate past this and it was vastly smoother at (much) higher speeds.

Good quality FI cleaner did the trick on mine - don't know how much this stuff is in the states but 8 was a small gamble when working out what was causing my problem
Old 09-28-2007, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thottle switch

So it looks like the throttle switch. Unplugged it and no more bucking, plugged it back in and buckaroo. Dave from Pelican states the acceleration will be off when unplugged but I didn't notice a difference. Any thoughts or experiences on that??

Cheers,
Phil
Horizontally Apposed
Old 09-28-2007, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: