Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cross Country journey

I will soon be flying from Texas to Northern California to pick up a 914. The journey back will be about 1700 miles. I am new to 914's and was wondering if I could get some suggestions on what "spares" I should bring in case of emergency. The car was checked by a great shop and all seems to be well. Hopefully, I will have no problems. Any advice
Old 09-29-2007, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Where in Northern California? I presume someone looked at the car for you already (oops, missed that), will want oil change and valve adjust, maybe new battery.

Clutch and accelerator cables. Fuel pump, hose clamps and some of those little golf pencils to plug hoses. Gas can, tune up stuff, tools and a good jack, probably jack stands too, WTF, you will have two trunks.

I can make some suggestions for routes. Salt Lake City has some nice roads south of it on the way to Albuquerque, believe that is the area where the Allison family hails(Racing family, nascar, etc, etc.) Some roads in Northern Cali that are pretty stellar too, they just fixed a bunch of them around Yosemite
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Tobra; 09-29-2007 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: missed shop comment
Old 09-29-2007, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Valves have been adjusted, Changed Oil and Trans fluid, replaced battery, belt and some plastic clutch widget. I plan on going down 5 to Bakersfield and then across on 40. I'll start my "spares" list. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Where are you starting out?
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 09-29-2007, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
Where are you starting out?

San Francisco is the starting point.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If you truly trust the car, don't do the 5, it's a boring trip. Calif has lot's of fun roads for your new car. Either do the Hwy 1 down the coast, or go thru Yosemite to 395, take it down to the 40. Lot's of curves to enjoy and scenery too. Only downside is there are stretches with very little cell phone service, so it would be a little more risky in the event of a breakdown.

I drove the 5 from LA up to Fresno in August, Hazy mountains in the distance, but flat and straight.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

About how many miles should I get on a tank of gas?
Old 09-29-2007, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I am guessing about 30 mpg, or about 350 miles per 12 gal tank.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I'd suggest getting some 914 contacts along the way. There's no telling what can happen with a 35 year old car and it's nice to be able to call on somone very familiar with these things. If I were you, I'd post your itinerary on here and one or more of the other 914 boards (914World, 914Club, rennlist, NARP). This way too if you need an extra pair of hands, extra parts, or even just some phone help, it will be there.

What I brought on a C2C trip...
Throttle Cable
Clutch Cable
2 Spare tires
Box o tools

What I needed
Fuses, lots of em
Duct tape, lots of it
Old 09-30-2007, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

ROAD TRIP!!!!!! Stuff to pack and tricks that might be handy on the road...
Take enough tools to tweak most things. Good socket and wrench set... 8mm 10mm 11mm 13mm 17mm 19mm open ends.
Spark plug.
A long spark plug wire.... that could work in any position.
Allen wrenches.
Oil.
Heavy gauge wire.
Spare points. Maybe even a condensor.
Flashlight.
Fan belt.
Multimeter.
Sandpaper.
Fix a Flat? Especially if no spare. But be warned, many flats are beyond the goop.
General purpose grease.
Clutch and throttle cables.
Note: Many relays are swappable, especially the round ones. Compare relay board to headlight, etc.
Not all fuses are used. Borrow if you need to!
Old 09-30-2007, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I could give you a list of northern California Roads that are VERY worthwhile
Milton Friedman
Old 09-30-2007, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
how bouts a service manual, and a laptop(manual on disc)
Old 10-02-2007, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

did you get a PPI done? What did they say?

If you are flying out, then you won't have all those tools. I say get it tuned up at a shop out there and then drive it. There are lots ofpeople who can fix it along the way.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 10-02-2007, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to PeterCarrera84
When are u flying to Cal ? I am picking up my 914 next w/e. Lincoln Nebraska.almost 1500 return trip to Clearwater, Fl west of Tampa and No. of St Peter. Have a great road trip. !!
best regards, Peter
03 Boxster S sold
98 944 S2 G Red,
Old 10-23-2007, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterCarrera84 View Post
When are u flying to Cal ? I am picking up my 914 next w/e. Lincoln Nebraska.almost 1500 return trip to Clearwater, Fl west of Tampa and No. of St Peter. Have a great road trip. !!
best regards, Peter
We got back to Dallas on the 11th. The trip did not go as planned. We ended up renting a U-haul and auto transport to get it back home. All is well now, easy fit once we got home. Have a back-up plan. Have a safe trip. Post some photos when you get back.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: