Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 tranny noise

I just finished changing the gear set (and 1st gear syncro) on my tranny. I'm not sure if I am being more critical of noises since I took the tranny apart but I hear a noise inside the car with the engine idling and in neutral. If the shifter is two the left (between 2nd and 3rd) I don't hear the noise. As I move the shifter to the right, I hear a faint noise similar to a noisy bearing. The noise is coming from the tranny as I checked it with a stethoscope. No the shifter bar is not contacting anything that it shouldn't.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Interesting. How would the noise be coming from the tranny if in neutral? Nothing behind the clutch could be turning, right?
(Not trying to question you or be argumentative, just curious.)
Old 10-05-2007, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Does it change with the clutch in or out?

I would post this over at the club or the world, Dr Evil should be able to give you some insight.

Aristotle
Old 10-05-2007, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sorry it took so long to reply (Internet service issues continue).
Yes.
Clutch pedal in no noise, clutch pedal out I can hear the noise.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
throwout bearing is my guess.

Aristotle
Old 10-24-2007, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: