Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Is there a tech article on 914 tranny removal ?

Mine just died . Thanks
Old 10-06-2007, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
What makes you think the trans is dead? There are other things that can sometimes appear to be transmission problems, particularly stuff like a broken or disconnected CV joint.

I don't know of a tech article off the top of my head, but it is relatively straight-forward. You support the rear of the engine, remove the muffler, disconnect everything from the trans, unbolt the starter (one nut is accessed from inside the engine bay!), unbolt the trans, and slide it out. It's about 75 lbs, so one person can handle it if they need to.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-06-2007, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ok, thank you Dave . Well , here is the skinny . I was driving down I 70 about five miles from my house . I was having trouble getting it into fourth gear . It didnt grind . It just wouldnt go . When I got it to go it wouldnt stay . I pulled off the highway a few miles later to see if I could figure it out . Then it wouldnt go into first or reverse . I just figured it was finished .Thanks for the car pics .
Old 10-06-2007, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Recovering dismantler

Garage
Ijust went through the same issues, symptoms exactly the same- what year is your car - mine is a 72 tail shifter - the coupling between the seats ( in the floor tunnel )- worked loose and slipped. My fault, I replaced all the bearings in the shift linkage and did not do it up tight enough!
Land Rover Discovery
Bayliner Ciera 2655
Old 10-08-2007, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sounds more like a linkage problem than a tranny failure.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
King Broinyo

Agreed, this sounds like a linkage problem.

It's actually kind of difficult to wreck these gearboxes (minus first gear of course)
Old 10-09-2007, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all your input . We will see what happens this weekend . It is a 1975
Old 10-11-2007, 02:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
King Broinyo

You may want to chek the shift rod. It has an inner part that fits into an outer sleeve. It is spot welded together and if the weld breaks, you wont be able to get into gear
Old 10-11-2007, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

If the bushings are over two years old then they are suspect. There are several places to check: the shifter itsself and the clamp bolt. Then the firewall bushing and right behind it is the coupler that has a cone screw that can come loose and two bushings. At the rear there is the rod bushing in the housing and then the cup bushing and cone screw at the very back. I would recommend replacing all the bushings, both screws and adjust things well and it should be fine.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: