Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914-6 aux oil cooler

Need help. I am ready to install front oil cooler in 14-six. HAving trouble deciding how and where to run lines and hook in. Have all parts from "knowledgeable" supplier (i think) but having some apprehension.

1. Car has ex a/c hole in back of trunk so my idea was to run lines down center of pan in groove. Have to modify steering box cover plate but minor .....
Not sure this is good idea or not.

2. Seems there is not enough space to run under rocker panel (through gussets. Do you run one down each side in this case or ?????

3. Not sure where to hook into existing lines ...

4. Have thermostat and feel that should be at rear.

I am trying to do minimal disfigurement to car and have clean as possible set-up. Haven't done this for a while so any detailed guidance would be appreciated ( including site to explain ....one on Pelican but it is for four cylinder .)
Thanks
Terry
Old 10-09-2007, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Cool the oil after it has been through the engine, before it returns to the tank. That means unhooking the return line and running the hoses that go to the front of the car to each end. The thermostat goes near the engine, and should be set up so that cold oil goes straight back to the tank, while hot oil goes to the cooler.

I believe that you can chop up the supports enough to get one line under each rocker cover. Failing that, giving up one of your heater channels is not the worst idea. Either way, you will have some challenges when it comes to geting the oil from the corner of the rocker up into a part of the wheel well that is out of the way of moving parts.

Ducting to make sure air goes through the cooler, and not around it, is very important.

You can use the under-the-rear-trunk cooler setup for a Six as well as for a Four, but it will not provide the best cooling. The best cooling will be from a well-done front-mounted cooler with openings in the front of the car and ducting to force that air to go through the cooler. In some cases, "not the best" may be good enough--but if not, you have to do the work all over again.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-09-2007, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
JW Apostate

Track car? What motor?

Is the car overheating now?

Mounting the t-stat in the trunk is no big deal.
Big opening. Big exit. Shrouded.

Have you seen the copper hardlines behind the rocker panels?

My set-up keep oils temps below 210 degrees under 100 degree weather and 30 minute 5-7k rpm track sessions.

KT
'74 914-6 2.6 SS #746
'01 Boxster
'73 914
Old 10-09-2007, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I upgraded my 2.0 to a 2.7 with RS pistons and cylinders,2.4 crank and rods, and S cams. I use the standard oil cooler with no problems.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
You can drill through the supports as Dave suggests, factory did that for the lines on the drivers side for the fuel evaporation charcoal filter vent.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 10-31-2007, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: