Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sound Pad Installation

Hello Fellow 14'ers -

I am going to be installing a new sound pad and I am wondering if there are any clips that fit thru the pad into the firewall? Also, what type of adhesive is best to use?

Thank you in advance!
Old 10-09-2007, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If I recall correctly, the top of the backpad slid up under some tabs and then the bottom was fastened with screws. No other fasteners through the pad into the firewall, and no adhesives.

If you don't care about doing it like the factory did, a lot of guys choose to glue carpet, or other sound-deadening materials to the firewall.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Not trying to talk you out of anything, but I have removed the sound pad from the last 2 914's I have owned and will never put it back in. At the bottom of the pad was a great place for water to collect and cause rust.
I was willing to trade some heat and some noise for one less potential rusty spot.
The pad did fasten thru some tabs at the top. It was also held in place by some black plastic buttons that pushed thru the pad into holes in the firewall.
If you take the pad off some day, be prepared for a fight removing th glue. It's not fun.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
What EJ said.

There are plastic deals that have like a washer on one end and a barbed piece that goes into the firewall, similar to the little plastic things they use to hold up the inside lining of trunk in modern car.

A blow dryer will help soften glue and facilitate removal. I wold be more inlcined to use dynamat or something similar

Kinky Friedman
Old 10-10-2007, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thank you for your advice/suggestions - just curious to know if the noise and heat levels are increased very much without the pad? I would follow the advice of not having it but worried about alot of noise coming thru into the pass. compartment of what is already a fairly noisy car.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
King Broinyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94teener View Post
Thank you for your advice/suggestions - just curious to know if the noise and heat levels are increased very much without the pad? I would follow the advice of not having it but worried about alot of noise coming thru into the pass. compartment of what is already a fairly noisy car.
Not that much louder and not too much heat. The sound pad is pretty much only good for retaining moisture against the firewall
Old 10-11-2007, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Everyone has different tastes or tolerances. The heat hasn't been factor at all for me. I definitely noticed a difference in sound level, but I like it. This is a personal thing, so just pull it out and drive it for a while. Then you'll know what YOU think of it.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks Randy, Nostril, Tobra, and EJP - great answers and I appreciate your help. I like the idea of not hassling with the pad - and especially to avoid any more possible rust areas....I just spent $850 getting the battery tray area fixed up and engine shelf.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: