Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

new 914 owner

Hello room!
I have just purchased and drove home my 1974 Porsche 914. I do not know much about 914's but i am hoping to repair drive and restore my classic. So far the car runs OK it seems to hesitate when i start off but then runs ok, any ideas on what to check. Also, today i discovered what may be a total nightmare. I took the top off of the car today it came off fine. Several hours later i went to replace the top and noticed that the passenger side rear locating pin of the top was missing about a 1/4" and the top would not go back on. My dad then jacked the car up on the pass side and the top went back in to place. Is this a major problem ?? What can i do to fix this? I have looked online for repair panels and have not found much, is there a site that carries sheet metal repair panels ?Thanks in advance for all the help i will be needing in the future
i am located in Kent Ohio
thanks
Manny
Old 10-09-2007, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
May be terminal body sag, possibly BIG trouble.

Remove the rocker covers on the sides below the doors and start looking for rust, check under and behind passenger seat at firewall too.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 10-10-2007, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

thats not good
Old 10-10-2007, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

What is the cause of body sag? I looked on the net and saw "clamshells" and inside and outside rockers. How hard is it to replace this stuff? Is there a certain area i should check out for? Is body sag common? I think my dream of owning a 914 just turned in to a major problem
Old 10-10-2007, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
If it is rusted out in middle, it will be weak. Do the door gaps change on the passenger side when a big guy sits in passenger seat. Jacking points are a spot that seems prone to cancer, as is hole under battery. Reach down in front of battery and figure out what is down there. Mine looked like this under rockers and I was pretty happy about it.

"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 10-10-2007, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I will jack it up this weekend and have a closer look. i am very dissapointed already only owning it for a week. The guy sold it to me and told me it was solid and everything was great and it was from cali. i guess he lied and i got had
thanks for your help
Old 10-11-2007, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
How are your welding skills? There are kits to reinforce the inner and outer longs that might be just the ticket for you, take pics
Milton Friedman
Old 10-13-2007, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ok i had time to take a few pictures. The pictures are of the area infront of the sway bar and shocks, right behind the rear fender. Both sides look like this, the yellow is expanding foam. Is this a major structual point? would it cause body sag ??? what panel do i need for repair is it consdiderd the rear floor pan ?
thanks i have never posted a pic before i hope it works

Old 10-14-2007, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

also those bumps on the firewall are foam aswell!
Old 10-14-2007, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

any sugestions?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Take a screwdriver and start poking. You probably want to scrape as much of that goop off as you can, so you can see what the actual metal is like. You can make decisions once you see that...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-19-2007, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: