Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Deplorable Member

Garage
Picking up a '71 tomorrow - wish me luck. . .

Buying a '71 914 sight unseen and driving it home 700 miles. Keeping my fingers crossed for no snags/complications/problems. . .

Yes, I got a good deal on it. It's worth it, even if something goes wrong. I'm bringing tools with me, a AAA card, phone and warm clothes. I also mapped out every U-haul between the seller's location and home. If the thing goes sideways on me, I'll stop at one and get a truck & car trailer, but I'm hoping all goes well.

Wish me luck! Happy to be part of yet another Porsche "club" (I've now owned a 924, two 944s, a 951, a 911 and a 914 to date. . .)

Suggestions? Things to check before hitting the road (other than obvious stuff like oil, tire pressure, etc.)? Anyone want to call me a dumbass for undertaking such an ill-conceived plan?

Black Cars Matter
Old 10-12-2007, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I would at least take the valve covers off and check the clearances if I were driving it home. Make sure it has oil in trans axle too
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because that’s the true tax ... If you’re not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, you’re paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 10-13-2007, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
From one 71 owner to another. congrats! Check the oil, check the gas lines for cracks, and take a spare belt and you mobile phone. I would also bring an entire tool kit. Enjoy the trip.

and check out this thread on what to bring along. Cross Country journey
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309

Last edited by RSBob; 10-13-2007 at 09:40 PM..
Old 10-13-2007, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Thanks guys - made it home fine. The car has been kind of neglected and there are a lot of things that are going to either need fixing or "fixing the fixes". Somewhere in the car's history, there's a lot of "cobbled together" repairs that need to be undone and corrected more permanently. I at least got all the required lights working for the drive home (since most of it was at night) and replaced the four bald tires with brand new ones before hitting the road.

Trip was largely uneventful - only one unscheduled stop to temporarily secure the rear glass, which was becoming delaminated and making a disturbing rattle every time I went over a bump (so bad I was afraid the thing might shatter). A few strategically-placed shims and some tape worked for now. That was about it.

Car seems mechanically very good - engine runs well although it seems hopelessly underpowered (are all 1.7L 914s this way?) The transmission is good functionally but the feel of the shifter absolutely sucks - fully 50% of the time going from 3rd to 4th I'd end up going from 3rd to 2nd. Very sloppy action - maybe an adjustment will help. I started taking the shifts from 3rd VERY slowly and listening to the sound of the gears before letting up the clutch (sometimes you can tell if you have 2nd selected because the pitch is different). Then let the clutch up very slowly - at the first hint of downshifting, clutch back in and try it again.

Body is good & straight. No major rust issues (which is nice). Paint is terrible. Most of the switches & knobs don't work (including heat, which made me glad I'd brought a lot of warm clothes along). Gauges are fine except tach. doesn't work. Car has Webers, which is nice. Starts strong on the first try without fail.

I'm going to start lurking in the archives and figure out what to tackle first. Probably the obvious stuff like the delaminating rear window and the tach.

Black Cars Matter
Old 10-14-2007, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
rear window is straightforward, detailed instructions at the 914c.ub/world. Do yourself a favor, loosen bottom of side rocker covers and clean out the crap u nder there now, rather than waiting.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because that’s the true tax ... If you’re not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, you’re paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 10-14-2007, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

My 71 shifted like a bowl of jello, and that was 30 years ago. New bushings help, but the design is flawed. It does teach you how to shift precisely.
Compared to your other Porsche's, yes this one is underpowered. See Jake Raby for a solution.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: