Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1973 914/ Gas Leak!!!!!

Do the gas tank themselves start to leak due to the age of the vehicle?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
When rust causes a hole in the tank they will leak.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 11-12-2007, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
more likely rotten rubber fuel hoses, but you can get a new tank, or a fuel cell if you want to spend more money. You will want to buy some fuel hose, and some good hose clamps(they have a sort of rolled edge so they don't cut into it) a fuel filter and a friend to help you pull out the tank for inspection. If you don't know when the fuel injector seals were changed, they are probably too old also.

Old rubber goes bad. It is used in the braking and fuel systems, both of which generate some pretty high pressures. Think about it.

Oh and the fuel pump is not in the smartest place either. If you park facing downhill on any kind of incline, good luck starting it, especially if it is hot. The heat exchanger on the passenger side blows right on it if you do not have the heat directed to the passenger compartment. It is in a much better spot on the '75 and later cars.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Tobra; 11-12-2007 at 09:26 AM..
Old 11-12-2007, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Are you noticing just the smell of fumes, or are there wet spots or drips? Is the evap tank in place, and are the hoses connected well to charcoal canister?

-Rand
Old 11-12-2007, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Found this one today on mine. The return line under the tank had perished. When the pump was running it would put more fuel into the footwells than back into the tank.

It isn't too hard to lift up the tank to change the lines, but I had to cut the lines to get the tank out. So make sure you drain as much as you can first and lift the carpet out of the way.

Cheers, Steve
Old 11-17-2007, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

My 74 was retrofitted with fuel pump up front in front of the driver's feet under the tank. The PO ran hoses to the tank that were long enough to remove the tank and get to the pump without disconnecting any hoses. Quite convenient.

It should be possible on all 914's to make the fuel lines from the tank long enough to pull the tank without disconnecting hoses. For cars with fuel pumps in the rear, simply make the hoses long enough to route over to the driver footwell and loop back to the chassis.

Here I have the tank up for checking out my pump. My pump had a very very small leak that occasionally sent a gas smell into the cabin. I tilted the tank to the left so the pickups wouldn't go dry.

Here's a shot under the tank. Notice how the chassis hoses snake under the steering column and around to the pump. Just at the top of the pic are the bottoms of the hoses from the tank.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

pump under the gas tank pix's

Your pix's are great for us non mechanical types. Can you pleaseeee ad pix's of the pump mount, and where you picked up the power for the pump? Is it as simple as moving the pump up front in the house route, and give it power? Thanks b
Old 11-29-2007, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: