Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Cheapsnake

New guy here and whining already

I'm new to the forum but not to 914's. Wife and I had a 72 1.7 many years back and recently aquired a project car, a 71 with a rebuilt 2.0 and rebuilt side shifter. That's the good part. Now the bad part...the rest of the car is a disaster. It was an ebay deal (yeah, I know) and the guy grossly misrepresented the condition (RUST!!!, no keys, missing parts etc, etc).

Anyway, after driving 450 miles to pick it up I wasn't about to go home empty handed so we struck a deal for $500 bucks. I figured the engine and tranny would cover that and my travel if I parted the thing out and anything beyond that would be pure profit. Problem is, I didn't want a parts car - I wanted a project car so now I'm facing the decision of parting it out or charging ahead as a project.

So here's my whine...How bad does a 914 project have to be before it becomes a parts car. My main concern is the rusted floor pans and longitudinals. The doors don't open if that gives you a clue. I know the parts are avaialble but not sure if there's enough native metal left to justify the work and expense of installing them and even then not sure how effective the fix is. The body's actually pretty good and the interior is surprisingly good except for the cracked dash. My second concern is all the crappy little things that nobody ever foresees.

OK,you project car guys, let's hear your horror/success stories and help me stop whining.

Tom
Old 11-14-2007, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Here's a success story:
http://hellofriendpeace.tripod.com/index.html

Personally, what you describe is more than I'd be willing to take on, but others have done it.
2000 Silverado
2011 Golf
Old 11-14-2007, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
How much would it cost to get a nice rustfree Cali/Arizona roller without the drivetrain shipped to the land of cheese?

Unless you have mad welding skills, it is a parts car already
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 11-14-2007, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Personally, I'd part it. But then, us Left Coast guys cut up cars that the Midwesterners think of as "drivers" all the time...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-14-2007, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Cheapsnake

Thanks guys, you just confirmed my inclination to part her out. I'm still going to look for a car worthy of my time and maybe transfer the drivetrain over. Watch the classifieds for parts to come flying off.

Tom
Old 11-15-2007, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I've got one for sale.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 11-15-2007, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Cheapsnake

Paul, it's tempting to go down there and pick it up just for a little warmth, but the distance is a little more than I can handle.

Tom
Old 11-15-2007, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Dude, I'd kill to have a reason to drive this across country.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 11-15-2007, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

you california guy a so so so lucky,, what you call a parts car at home here in canada or anywhere in the north is a good driver, if all the body is good and you only need the long and floor its a piece cake ,, took me 13 month to weld my-6 back ,ok its a -6,, but my last four was like he describe ( from MI) and it is easy, once the drive train is out there is lots of room
660R stroked
Old 11-15-2007, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

that guy in the link had a GOOD car,, my -6 was worst, and my -4 a bit better , ok it seems undoable, just tell yourself

I CAN DO IT , I CAN DO IT
660R stroked
Old 11-15-2007, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: