Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914-914-6-technical-forum/)
-   -   1.8 barely runs then stops (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914-914-6-technical-forum/377843-1-8-barely-runs-then-stops.html)

sreddock 11-16-2007 11:19 PM

1.8 barely runs then stops

Hi all,

My 1.8 was bought as a non-runner and I'm working on it. I'm in Australia and I was put off by the postage on genuine fuel pumps from the US, particularly as I managed to buy two non-working ones. So it now has one from another car, which has made the car start and run. I don't know for sure that I have a functioning fuel pressure regulator, but I know that there is some pressure - several old pipes leaked. I've replaced all rubber hoses on the car today.

The car will start quite well and runs for a while. I get about 10-15 seconds of running, initially it will rev OK. Then it gets slower and slower then dies - regardless of throttle. It will not restart. If I wait a couple of minutes it will restart, but not run as well before dying after 5 seconds of rough running.

I also replaced all the small diameter vacuum lines. I couldn't find anywhere which had the large vacuum lines in stock so they are original, but look OK. Interestingly my vacuum lines do not match the diagram on the PP site. I don't have an EGR and my TB has only one port which is connected to the dizzy side of the vacuum advance module. The port on the other side of the vacuum advance is connected to an range of things including the plenium and the de-acceleration valve. I thought this was odd, but I couldn't imagine someone putting all those T-pieces in by mistake.

My car is missing the charcoal canister and the connection to the airbox is open. I don't think this really matters as it is before the AFM, but does allow unfiltered air in. I plan to block this hole.

When it runs it is quite smokey, but it hasn't run in years so I'm guessing some oil crept past the rings into the bores.

I'm sure there are some air leaks in the old hoses, injector seals, etc. but would that cause this problem? I was expecting it to run like crap, but to run.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Steve

Inschool 11-17-2007 02:20 PM

what color is the smoke? Black, Blue, Grey?

sreddock 11-17-2007 03:36 PM

Good question, and I don't remember exactly. I think it was grey. I just went and tried again to check and it is now grey and only from one exhaust pipe. The injectors on the other side have split the crimped on cloth line and are spraying fuel everywhere.

Ho hum... Time for new injectors.

Steve

Dave at Pelican Parts 11-17-2007 04:11 PM

Check for kinked fuel lines. I have had similar symptoms (runs just for a little while) with those. Also check for a clogged fuel filter, and maybe try to inspect the "sock" strainer on the inlet in the tank.

Verify that the pump you got is putting out enough fuel pressure, and check that it can deliver enough volume. I don't recall the volume spec off the top of my head, though.

--DD

sreddock 11-17-2007 04:23 PM

Thanks Dave. I'll check the lines again - I only replaced them yesterday but if I kinked the return under the tank I can see the pressure going up high enough to be the reason I popped the injector line today. Likewise I could also have kinked the delivery. I have a transparent fuel filter and when the pump is running I can see a lot of fuel flowing.

It is a pig of a job to get the tank in and out on mine with all the hose underneath and not kinked. Too much hose and you can't fit it in without kinking. Too little and you can't get the tank out...

The pump was for a 200 BHP 3.6l GM V6, so I'm guessing volume will be enough. Depending on the posts I read is 1-2 litres per min is required. The pump is for an engine which runs at 70psi, so I have more than enough. I think I may get a gauge to check what I really do have though.

Cheers, Steve

sreddock 11-21-2007 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave at Pelican Parts (Post 3594135)
and maybe try to inspect the "sock" strainer on the inlet in the tank.

My tank is hard to remove/install as the solid pipes on the tank point towards the back of the car. This makes is very hard to connect the flexi hose and it is very easy to kink them.

I took them off to check the strainer, which isn't there. It also doesn't rattle around inside the tank, so it isn't loose.

I'm doing OK for finding SPOTs on this car, but I'm sure this won't be the last.

At least the tank is nice and clean inside.

Cheers, Steve

glennholmes 01-04-2009 12:53 AM

sounds like condenser, you should keep two new in glove box always with 914

sreddock 01-04-2009 01:04 AM

Blimey, that's an old thread!

I did change that as well - but what a pain. Is there an easy way to change the condenser on a 914? I didn't want to remove the dizzy, but felt that was the only way. It took way to much fiddling and forcing to get the plastic block on the wire to seat properly.

Cheers, Steve