Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Hoses and Charcoal Canister

So now it's time to replace all the hoses on my project. For fuel and vacuum, is it ok to grease the hose with something like wd4o to get them on easier?

Many hoses are missing...do vacuum hoses need a clamp?

Can ORings be used under the gas tank gas line pipes brass nuts? I replaced the strainer and those lines, but the washers were missing - there ain't none. I'm sure the varnish held the old pipes in and I know they leaked, from the old fuel stains under the tank. What can I use?

914 201 147 10 & 311 201 235A

The charcoal canister is missing, is that a problem?
Thanks
Old 11-17-2007, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
There was someone else asking, found a seal for the strainer, look down a bit.

WD40 will not be kind to those hoses, try silicone grease(like for spark plugs), you should not need to use lube to get them on, or hose clamps to keep them on. The charcoal cannister is not doing much at this point anyway, but you will get fuel vapor smell if it is not hooked up at all.

Aristotle
Old 11-18-2007, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Vacuum hoses generally should not have hose clamps.

I wouldn't use silicone on my hoses. Generally I only have to lube the fuel hoses to slide them on, and for that I use fuel. There's usually some around where I'm installing the hose, and it certainly won't contaminate the fuel that goes through them...

The fittings on the bottom of the gas tank originally had fiber washers to seal them. A recent thread mentioned one place that carried one of them, the other seems to be NLA. Maybe you could make your own if you can find the material?

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-18-2007, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I can get o rings at the local auto store that are approved for fuel. I'll try that next week and let ya'll know. My only concern is the crushability of an o ring and how it seals when tightening the nut. Thanks for the info on the hoses.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: