Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Caution! If you have Riviera Wheels, Found Cracks in 2 of 4 of our Rims

Our 72 914 came with Riviera wheels that a PO had installed. A search of previous posts on these wheels yielded that they are prone to crack but with out much detail. Upon cleaning ours today we noticed what appeared to be cracks on several of the webs (spokes) on the rear wheels. We did a dye penetrant inspection on several of the webs on one of the rear rims and found significant cracking. We did not check every web on this wheel with the penetrant but it appears that 4 of the 5 webs are cracking. The other rear wheel has two of the webs cracking. The fronts are fine.

As the photos show, the cracking on one of the webs is almost the entire way across. To my knowledge this car was never raced or auto-crossed and was seldom driven as it has just over 55K miles. We have no idea how long the rims have been on the car or how old they are. The are definitely VW Rivieras as the back space is 4". Our spare rim is the original Porsche steel rim that has the correct back space of between 4.5" to 4.75"

If you have Rivieras on you car you should probably check them. If you have access to anyone who could do a penetrant inspection that would be recommended, although our cracks are visible. The penetrant test showed how far they were going which was not visible.

Anyone got a good set of of original steel wheels with the correct backspacing, or early Pedrinis. (our car does not have the later centering hubs), or anyone got two good Rivieras cheap that are not cracked and of the same style?

Thanks
jjs3rd914

Old 12-08-2007, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Old wheels that were cheap when they were new is not a good thing to have on your car.

Check the Samba site for wheels. Make sure you get the RIGHT lug bolts, not the ones that theandante character is peddling. There is a cat in Florida who seems to always have nice looking refurbished wheels, though I know nobody who has dealt with him. You could probably get the right steel wheels for practically nothing and repaint them yourself, obviously best to do with tire off the rim, where are you?

Kinky Friedman
Old 12-10-2007, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

We are fairly certain that the car when new had steel wheels. Until we untimately go with 5-lugs and Fuchs (15", 5.5" or 6.0" wide) we will probably use steel wheels with hub caps. We have the ability to sandblast and paint the steel wheels, just need to find a good set (and hub caps) with the correct backspace, preferably here in SW Florida (Sarasota area). Need to do something quick as the photos show, this is not a safe situation!

The car was purchased with these Rivs, while I do not mind the look, they are not right for a 914, especially with the incorect backspace. There is barely 1/2" fender clearance on the back with the 165/15 tires. We want to got to a 185 or 195 tire. The steel wheels with chrome hub caps and maybe the chrome accent rims would look fine, but IMHO the best looking wheel ever for these early Porsches were the original 5 lug, 5 spoke Fuchs found on the early 911's and 914-6's. They just look as if they belong.

Thanks
jjs3rd914
Old 12-10-2007, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
there is a steel wheel designed to be used without hubcaps that might be a good choice for you, reason I ask where you are is that shipping will be the killer. You could use a VW steel wheel, they are narrower and have the wrong offset, but it sounds like this is an interim setup for you

Kinky Friedman
Old 12-18-2007, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies. Was going to go with the steel wheels but an opportunity for a set of Pedrinis in good shape (which will be correct for the car) has arisen. Some day we will go with 5-lug Fuchs.

Anyone want to buy 2 good Rivieras?

Anyone want two cracked Rivieras?

Thanks
jjs3rd914
Old 12-18-2007, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Good for garden hose reels or boat anchors....
Old 12-19-2007, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: