Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

non starting porsche

im new to the message board. i bought a 74 1.8 my senior year of high school at the time i was big on toyota mr2's. i got maybe 4 months of drive time since i bought it. now 3 or 4 years later after it sat for all this time i have a renewed interest. i started with the vacume problem got through that then an ignition problem fixed that now for three years ive been stuck on l jettronic problems my injectors simply will not squirt. i thought i needed a new computor. i got one and spent 54 dollars for nothing i think im down to fuel pressure problems at the current. im not sure if im getting enough pressure. i thought i read somewhere that at minimum 30 psi is needed. have any of you been here where im at?
Old 12-16-2007, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
You need three things for the engine to run: Fuel, Air (compression), and spark. Are you indeed getting no fuel? Have you tried putting the injectors into some jars (still hooked up to the fuel and electrical system) and cranking the starter? Or buying a "noid" light from your FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) and seeing if it blinks?

If you're getting nothing from the injectors at all, check the resistor pack that hangs off of the battery. Does it get power when the key is on? Does the fuel pump run while you're cranking the starter? Check the dual relay, also hanging off of the battery tray.

The injectors are told when to open by the ignition points. So make sure the white (may be faded to tan) wire from the EFI is plugged into the (-) terminal of the coil.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-16-2007, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

the fuel pump runs. and just recently the injectors are leaking now. i have spark and the engine will sputter if small amounts of fuel are added to the throttle body. without that i get nothing. and i recently checked the harness part that clips to the injector with a multimeter (too bad i didnt do this before i bought a new computer) i get a reading from 9.88 to 11 volts. i smell no gas fumes otherwise. unfortunately i dont have the car at home ( a half hour drive to dads house) but im trying to absorb as much info as i can from this site.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

and the fuel pump constantly runs if the key is on.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: