Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Clutch lever removal

I'm in the process of rebuilding my pedal cluster and have discovered that the clutch pedal lever has become one with the pivot shaft. Without mangling or distorting anything, I have tried various configurations for clamping, prying, tapping, and I just can't get it to budge. PS, yes I'm drowning it in PB Blaster.

Any good advice on this? (and yes, the roll pin is already out :-))
Old 01-07-2008, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Heat would be the next logical step.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-08-2008, 12:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

After having slept on it, heat was my next thought too.

Thanks for the reply, Dave.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

OK, heat and an 8 lb sledge aren't telling this clutch lever/pivot shaft duo anything.

Has anybody else ever run into an extremely stubborn disassembly like this?

Anything else I might try at this point?
Old 01-08-2008, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I know of one or two cases where people have given up... But the heat, a sledge, and Kroyl should do almost all of what can be done.

You might be able to take it to a shop with a press, but I'm not sure how they'd set up the press. Might be worth a stop at your local machine shop, though.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-08-2008, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

As Dave said....soak and heat....
try this....put the cable end in a vise and then take the pedal lever and rock back and forth in the direction it would be working....you can put a pipe over it as levrage....best to keep heating it so the solvent boils...this helps agitate the rust.....

Good luck...you will get it.....I have had plenty that were very stubborn....

John
Old 01-08-2008, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Does anyone have a spare pivot shaft you'll sell me?

My next consideration is to simply sawzall the cable end off of the shaft so that I can slide the shaft out and more effectively press or pound the shaft/lever combo apart.

The exposed end of the shaft in the lever is now concave. Yet, if I peer into the roll pin hole, it's still perfectly cylindrical--no movement.

I've tried heat, pressure, lube, threats...more of same...and this bugger is not budging. Normally, I would not resort to actually destroying a part but it's gotten to the point of being ridiculous now.

I've passed the point of no return now--having melted the outer plastic bushing and I'm still going to have to do a little bit of corrective work to the cage once it's all finally apart.

Applying leverage in the normal direction of travel for the lever is not working and I stopped this side of the brink of bending the lever.

So about that spare shaft... Anyone??

(By the way, thanks for enduring my rant)
Old 01-10-2008, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I would just find another complete pedal cluster....and start over....the one you've got may have additional issues....it's been a real pain
Old 01-11-2008, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaToy View Post
Does anyone have a spare pivot shaft you'll sell me?

My next consideration is to simply sawzall the cable end off of the shaft so that I can slide the shaft out and more effectively press or pound the shaft/lever combo apart.

The exposed end of the shaft in the lever is now concave. Yet, if I peer into the roll pin hole, it's still perfectly cylindrical--no movement.

I've tried heat, pressure, lube, threats...more of same...and this bugger is not budging. Normally, I would not resort to actually destroying a part but it's gotten to the point of being ridiculous now.

I've passed the point of no return now--having melted the outer plastic bushing and I'm still going to have to do a little bit of corrective work to the cage once it's all finally apart.

Applying leverage in the normal direction of travel for the lever is not working and I stopped this side of the brink of bending the lever.

So about that spare shaft... Anyone??

(By the way, thanks for enduring my rant)
If you've been beating on the end of the shaft along the axis, you've mushroomed it. It's toast, unless you have a lathe to turn it down after it's apart. I can supply you with both a shaft and a pedal if you need them, or there are people who sell rebuilt clusters. BTW, if the bushings are (or were!) swollwn, then the master cylinder is toast, as well. The Cap'n
Old 01-19-2008, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks, Cap'n.

PM sent

Last edited by TargaToy; 01-19-2008 at 07:53 AM..
Old 01-19-2008, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thanks to all who made helpful suggestions. Turns out the solution was ordering up another shaft and lever in nice shape from The Cap'n (thanks again, by the way).

Once I had the parts in hand, I cut the clutch cable end of the pivot shaft off with a reciprocating saw. Then, I derusted everything via my handy dandy Electrolytic Rust Removal bucket, painted, and rebuilt easily...as it SHOULD have been from the get-go with new bushings, springs, etc.

It's the dumb things that take the longest.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: