Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Architecture & Porsche's

Question: what's my 914 worth?? '73 1.7l D-jet

Im probably gonna sell my 914 in March in make room for a 996TT. Not sure what it's worth: here's what I got (thanks for your input on it's value)

'73 914 1.7l efi D-jet. Garage kept for at least 6 years
Mileage: stuck on 77,777

Mechanics:
Original 1.7l engine in near perfect tune: 125-ish PSI on all cylinderes, new valve adj, distributor, cap, rotor, points, injection points, Beru plug wires, plugs, hoses (all) seals oil pressure sender, head temper sensor, intake boots, intake gaskets, paper filter. Brad Penn Racing 20w50 oil (Mobil 1 before that). Rougly 30mpg observed.

Good clutch, no grind transmission with all new bushings & Mobil-1 fluid

SS brake lines, 17mm master cylinder, PBR pads up front (decent brakes).

Mahle wheels, good tires (orig. size). Car drives very nice, straight steering with excellent feedback despite no anti-sway bars.

Body: Original body, no evidence of any damage, some rust here/there (front, rear, pans (patched with fiberglass by previous owner), barely any under battery tray). Yellow paint over original blue car. Paint is so/so: Polishes up nice, but semi-poor prep. Looks good from 20' away. Been keyed, getting some of that fixed. Entire underside of pan has been cleaned/painted with flat-black Rustoleum paint to prevent further decay. Rockers are black fiberglass. Chrome bumpers are C+ quality: small dent in rear, small push in front near one of the bumpers. Bumper was black-siliconed to hide gap between chrome & bumper.

Interior: recovered (black vinyl) seats, some issues here,there, but ok. Carpet is ok, Dash & lower pad is perfect, rear pad is very nice. Gauges work fine, no pits in windshield, Chrome is mostly ok. door panels are decent, some "knuckle-wear" around cranks. Most seals are original. Heater doesn't work (not hooked up?) New fog lights & H4 headlights: plenty of light on the ground. Fresh vehicle inspection. Nice Blaupunk CD player & MB quart speakers in doors (sorry, wasn't me).

Rear trunk doesn't lock & has the center reflector, so I keep my gym bag in the front.

I think that's about it. So, what's it worth??

'74 911 RSR 3.6
Old 01-11-2008, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Surprises me the transmission works well with Mobil 1 synthetic in it.

Very nice car, nice color, my wife wishes I bought yellow instead of orange. Looks sharp, are those blacked out pedrinis? Should bring top dollar, oops, read the rust repair stuff.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 01-11-2008, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Architecture & Porsche's

mobil 1

Works fine with Mobil 1: it was better than leaving the old stinky stuff in there, and my local shop was out of the recommended 201 ____ stuff (can't remember the name: white jug, orange/red lettering.

'74 911 RSR 3.6
Old 01-11-2008, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Swepco is the stinky stuff.

If I had to guess, I'd guess something in the $3K+ range.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-11-2008, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Architecture & Porsche's

Thanks Dave, Swepco, that was it.

3k range even with a sorted 1.7l D-jet & great power + Mileage?

Not closer to 4 with that?

Thanks, Mark.
'74 911 RSR 3.6
Old 01-11-2008, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

1) Rear Trunk doesn't lock
2) All guages work.. but odometer that is stuck at 77,777 How long has is been stuck? makes mileage an estimate
3) Rust - "some rust here/there (front, rear, pans (patched with fiberglass by previous owner"
4) interior - "issues here, but ok"
5) Garage Kept for 6 years... but which six

You might want to "ask" for 4K but seems a bit high. Most potential 914 owners want 2.0l cars.. And they prefere rust free cars.. this one is not. How are the longitudinals? And as described, not perfect either.

Perhaps a great project car since it isn't literally in boxes, but even the "small stuff" that isn't right sends a message to a buyer. The guy liked the car perhaps, but not enough to maintain it right, or perhaps stay up on all that isn't right.

You will find a buyer I am sure but I you didn't need the full 4K to get a 996TT
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 01-11-2008, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: