Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
914 new body kit - need your help / opinion

Hi guys :
i m thinking of changing the bodykit on my 914 to a GT look. The car currently has the BECK 914 kit. The front bumper / fender is a one piece construction, so is the rear bumper and fender.
I bought the car with the Becks kit, i didnt' install it.

I want to know your opinion / help :
If i want to change it to the GT look, am i correct to say i will need the GT kit AND the fiberglass bumper (since the original bumper is gone)?
Does anyone have any recommendation as to where i should get the kit? The car is in California (if that matters).
Lastly, is there anyone out there thinks this BECK kit should remain on the car? I have never seen another 914 with this bodykit.
Thanks for your time.

This is how the car looks now :

This is the look i want :

Old 01-19-2008, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine11speedster View Post
Hi guys :
Lastly, is there anyone out there thinks this BECK kit should remain on the car? I have never seen another 914 with this bodykit.
probably not ...

i've seen it before in pictures, never in person.

i recommend getty design for your FG needs:

http://www.gettydesign.com/

Andy

>> 1970, 914-6, #374 (Original) For sale!
Old 01-20-2008, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If the front is one-piece, you'll need all new sheetmetal (or FG) for the front panels. It'll be a really "fun" job to replace all of that....

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-20-2008, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave at Pelican Parts View Post
If the front is one-piece, you'll need all new sheetmetal (or FG) for the front panels. It'll be a really "fun" job to replace all of that....

--DD
I agree with Dave... you need to look up under that fiberglass work and see if they cut the fenders off from underneath it (which they should have!). If all the sheetmetal is gone as it should be, then you have to replace all of that sheetmetal to start on the GT kit.

I agree with Andy on Getty as well - but with some hearsay as I have never used them, but have seen some of their stuff and everyone that uses it is way happier than those who have bought pieces elsewhere. But consider Dave's post and my agreement first.

If you don't like the look (I am not that keen on that kit) then maybe check out Roger Sheridan's stuff at ultimate914.com - Roger is just an all around good guy and serious 914 racer and makes a sweet body kit that is one piece front and has large rear fenders as well so you will probably remove more material in the rear than the Beck kit did, which is a good thing in your situation.

My car with the standard width kit

and Roger's amazingly fast 6cyl with the wide body kit that Andy (SirAndy above) took at Laguna

353cube 525HP SBC with Mendeola S4 transaxle
Old 01-20-2008, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by byndbad914 View Post
I agree with Dave... you need to look up under that fiberglass work and see if they cut the fenders off from underneath it (which they should have!). If all the sheetmetal is gone as it should be, then you have to replace all of that sheetmetal to start on the GT kit.
byndbad914, i follow you. How about this? A one piece FG fender with the GT flare already. They have it for the front and rear. That should (in theory) fix my need?

take a look
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130189850998&rd=1

Thanks
Old 01-20-2008, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

wow, I dunno who that is or how quality the fit of the parts are, but yeah, that would work. The hood for $304 buy it now is super tempting in fact. Have you talked to the seller or seen those parts in "real life". Saw the rears too on the QRS ebay store.

I would prefer the GT look over the Beck for certain. I like the GT stuff, but wanted to run much wider tires and the seriously flared GT stuff looks too boxy and weird. I like the stock width GT stuff for sure tho'.

If I still lived in SoCal I would roll out to Hemet and check that stuff out...

In a way I wish you didn't post it.. I had settled into refusing to spend so much $$ to go to fiberglass decklids to just save 40lbs but now I am back to thinking that seems like a good idea
Old 01-20-2008, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by byndbad914 View Post
If I still lived in SoCal I would roll out to Hemet and check that stuff out...
Hi Tim, i haven't told you the complicated part yet.
I use this 914 as a track car (still try to keep it street legal) once or twice a year. I live in Asia, and i visit the US once or twice a year; always try to squeeze a track event when i visit.
The tough job is to organize this GT look make over via email, telephone etc.

Good luck.
Carson
Old 01-20-2008, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine11speedster View Post
Hi Tim, i haven't told you the complicated part yet.
I use this 914 as a track car (still try to keep it street legal) once or twice a year. I live in Asia, and i visit the US once or twice a year; always try to squeeze a track event when i visit.
The tough job is to organize this GT look make over via email, telephone etc.

Good luck.
Carson
wow, yeah, tough. I saw the location in your avatar as California. That said, do you have a way of getting it to NorCal Bay area? If so, I bet the other posters here (Andy and Dave, Andy for sure) could help get you hooked up with Scott Yeaman at Yeaman's auto body. They do a lot of 914s now including completely straightening out the bent tub that Andy had. So if you want a place you could drop your car off with the body parts and show up on your next vacation with a sweet GT conversion, I am betting that is your best "long distance sight unseen" route.

One of Yeaman's guys has also posted photos online of cars they are doing on (another website which Andy is an admin of) - so I am sure they could take digital images of your car and so forth to send you here and there to ensure they were doing what you want them to do. Here is Scott's tube chassis racer with Sheridan's wide body kit also - I considered buying this car before building mine (with the V8, it was easier to do from scratch than convert a -6 car for me)

Old 01-20-2008, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I would leave the it on it. I love the GT look but I think with some modifications and a repaint your car would look great, not to mention saving you some big bucks.

Id find/revise the front spoiler, open it up in the middle, add some extra lights, maybe open up the flat parts of the flares and add a screen or vent. Get the fiberglass hood and trunk lids and add a spoiler.

Overall I think its decent looking but with a few tweaks and a strategically two-tone paint job would do wonders.

If I have time Ill do a litle photo shop on it to see what it looks like.

Id like to have it.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I like the other styles, but i think your car looks pretty nice. I think I'd leave it, and just work with what you have, unless you're going to do a complete re-build of the car.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
PMB Performance

Garage
Carson,

Go for it. I was thinking the glass fenders from the beginning. I've always wanted to make an entirely glass ride (front and rear fenders, doors, lids etc.)

You'll never kick yourself for going with the GT look over the Beck thing... it's a bit "dated".
www.pmbperformance.com
Old 01-26-2008, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
You'll never kick yourself for going with the GT look over the Beck thing... it's a bit "dated".
Nice Eric, I have a never installed kit and Now I have a complex about it .
oh well

Gt look timeless
Old 01-26-2008, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: