Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to vacca rabite
Turbo Tie Rod kit instructions?

So I bought the Turbo Tie Rod kit from Pelican.
But, no instructions were sent, and my front suspension has been apart for longer then I can recall (so I can't just copy the existing set up.)

Are there instructions for this kit somewhere?

Zach
Old 01-28-2008, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Dude...easy as pie. Just unthread the end that goes into the steering rack(old) and insert (after you put the rubber booty thing on) the end with the ball joint in tighten up and walla you are done the threaded rod portion is what the tie rod end screws onto. I believe there is a retaining nut on there too (tie rod end side)
2005 Scion XB "Gas sipping"
1978 Siedelmann S25 "Ataraxia"
Old 01-28-2008, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Found this post today as I was searching for instructions. It isn't as easy as pie when you can't get the old tie rods off. I was looking for instructions on how to do this - I thought there might be a secret.

I found this post, which is pretty helpful.
learnings from turbo tie rod installation

Think I'll be removing my rack tomorrow...

Cheers, Steve
Old 03-14-2008, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I seem to remember that the spacer wasn't used on the 914 otherwise the correct toe in/out can't be achieved -can anyone corroborate this
Old 03-16-2008, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
PB blaster is your friend.

Light rap with a ball peen hammer can be just the ticket for some stuck things.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 03-16-2008, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yeah, tried that. The problem is the locking ring had notches at 90 degrees only and I can't get a decent angle onto it as the notch I can reach is blocked by the master cylinder or the pipes. Don't know if this is because my master cylinder isn't quite in the right place as I have a RHD conversion. Doesn't seem to matter where I turn the rack to either. The non-brake side not much better.

Cheers, Steve
Old 03-16-2008, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Perhaps you will be pulling your master cylinder, will give you a chance to give the brakes a good flush and replace any soft lines that are beat. I wonder if a steady hand could make a notch or two with a battery powered dremel with it in place? I would rather take off the MC than try it myself.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 03-16-2008, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ws91420 Send a message via Yahoo to ws91420
I used an air chisel to loosen mine. One side was loose and the other broken loose with the air chisel.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I had one that was so stuck that I cut the tie rod off and welded a huge coupler onto the cup so I could get my impact on it to break it loose. It was a turbo tie rod that needed to be replaced, but the same idea could work, as a last resort. It was easier than removing the steering rack. As you can see' I didn't have much room to weld.

Last edited by sww914; 03-19-2008 at 12:07 AM..
Old 03-19-2008, 12:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thank you all.

I've just gone out again and beaten it harder and both ends came off. Sometimes it is just a case of knowing it can be done that way to reassure you. I went into the job half expecting to remove the rack, then the best set of instructions I could find suggested that you needed to. So I guess I set my sights on not being able to get it undone and succeeded in meeting expectations!

For others looking at this thread, the thread is on the tie rod. Therefore the lock nut locks this thread against the rack. Both ends are correctly threaded. Hopefully from this you can work out which way to beat the nut to loosen it.

Cheers, Steve
Old 03-19-2008, 01:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: