Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Swapping 3-port fuel pump for a newer 2-port...?

I've searched/read some/most of the previous threads on this subject and have two questions:

1) What fuel pump to use? My car is a '71 914-6 (conversion) with the 3-port fuel pump (now dead) in the stock location (underneath the battery/hell-hole). Motor is 2.4 w/MFI. If I use a new(er) type pump, can I leave it in the stock location? I'm really not into removing my fuel tank (AGAIN...third time) to re-locate the pump.

2) Dave@Pelican mentions in several threads of sending the bypass (return line) straight through back to the tank (thereby eliminating the "Y"). He indicates this is the hose attached to the pressure regulator. My car does not have a pressure regulator. All hoses from the fuel pump go to a firewall mounted fuel-filter assembly that has a bunch of hoses coming from/to it (as seen below). Can I complete this bypass without a pressure regulator?

Note: Further research reveals a different fuel pump is required for MFI vs. stock 914 injection (although they look the same)...so, how do I know which pump I have?

Last edited by Danny_Ocean; 01-28-2008 at 08:40 PM..
Old 01-28-2008, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
You tell which one you have by looking at the part numbers. I don't recall what they are off the top of my head, but you can look them up on this website (use the "search box") and find the application.

I do not know how MFI deals with the fuel pressure issue, so I would probably stick with whatever the 911 pump was used to feed that.

Verify that you get power to the pump in the first place.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-28-2008, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Dave. I always look forward to your answers.

The pump isn't truly "dead", but it is leaking, so I'm going to have to replace it.

The only # I have is the Bosch number. I'll post that over on the 911 forum to see what I have.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
If you know what the pressure needs to be, you can put a pressure regulator on it set appropriately and it should work with whatever pump you have that will generate adequate pressure and volume of fuel. Plumbing is not that complex really.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 01-29-2008, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yeah, I considered that as a last resort. Whomever did the conversion did a real "chop job" and I'm trying to sort things out. I really don't want to add anything else to the existing mess, but I might have to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
If you know what the pressure needs to be, you can put a pressure regulator on it set appropriately and it should work with whatever pump you have that will generate adequate pressure and volume of fuel. Plumbing is not that complex really.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I would use the pump they put in the fuel injected VW superbeetles and later 914 cars. Same/similar pump, they are plentiful, and will work well with the kit you can get for the rear to front move on the fuel pump, even if you don't feel like doing that now(which I think is a mistake, it is a far superior location, more protected and will always have positive fuel flow as long as you have gasoline.)
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 01-29-2008, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: