Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Proper Lighting?

I am reinstalling the wiring in a 914-6 restoration and I am not sure if the lights are correct. When the parking lights come on, should the euro-amber tail lights be on? When the headlights are on should the front parking lights and the amber tail lights be on? All the flashers work properly. If this is incorrect, is the problem in the headlamp switch or the wiring? Any clues and tips would be appreciated, I can't find a resource showing what should be on when.
Bren
Old 01-29-2008, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
With key off, if you hit the turn signal, the side marker and turn signal on that side should come on, yes to all the questions you ask here, as I understand it
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 01-30-2008, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
It seems to me the amber portion of the tails should only light when the turn signals are used.
2000 Silverado
2011 Golf
Old 01-30-2008, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I thought the amber part doubled as side marker, have not looked at any in a while
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 01-31-2008, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The above confusion may be my incomplete description. There are actually 2 parts to the amber area, the "main" or inboard larger section, and the small outboard lights.
The outboard ones are the markers, but my question is about the inboards that are on with everything -parking, head, turn, flashers. What should they be on with and do you think the problem is in the switch or the way I have it wired?

THanks for the advice!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
OK, if I understand correctly, the amber portion of the lens that faces the rear is on whenever any of the other lights (head, turn, parking, etc.) are on. You only want them to be on with the turn signals or flashers, correct?

I assume your car originally came with US-type lenses that were all red except for the backup portion. If so, they are working as designed. On my '74, the outboard part of the lamp comes on whenever the light switch is on, and it flashes when the turn signal or flasher is on. That makes sense because that part of the lamp is red, so it can serve as turn signal or just a general running light.

BUT, if you retrofitted amber lenses and you've got amber where there used to be red, and you want the amber portion to light only when the turn signals or flashers are on, you've got some re-wiring to do.
2000 Silverado
2011 Golf
Old 02-01-2008, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: