Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Wiring mysteries

I've got some wiring issues to tidy up before I put my car back on the road at last.

I've found 3 sets of wires which I cannot identify. I'm also missing some wires. The vehicle is a 74 1.8 WHICH HAS BEEN CONVERTED TO RIGHT HAND DRIVE. The PO had the work done some aspects of the wiring have left a little to be desired, such as twisting wires together to join them...

Missing 1: handbrake warning light. I can find no spare wires which match the colours for this. There are no unaccounted for wires in the cabin area. Where should they pop out of the loom?

Missing 2: Brake failure wires to connect to the master cylinder. Where should they pop out of the loom?

My brake failure/hand brake light is always on. So something is making this circuit.

Now the mystery ones.

Mystery 1:

These ones break out of the main ECU loom near the battery. They all appear white once cleaned. Can't see where they would connect to and any connector has been snipped off.

Mystery 2:

Brown and white seems to mean a switched ground. The plastic thing looks like part of a switch. They are part of the loom behind the fuse box, which is now on the right hand side.

As another complication, which hasn't worried me much, the seatbelt interlock relays are still under the seat. There are actually no seat belts of seat connections in the car and the interlock appears inoperative, but the relays are all connected without any apparent signs of bridging connectors. Unless advised otherwise I'll continue to ignore this anomaly.

Cheers, Steve
Old 02-02-2008, 11:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Missing 1: handbrake warning light. I can find no spare wires which match the colours for this. There are no unaccounted for wires in the cabin area. Where should they pop out of the loom?
Single wire to the handbrake switch comes out between the seat with the seat belt interlock wiring.

Quote:
Missing 2: Brake failure wires to connect to the master cylinder. Where should they pop out of the loom?
Comes out of the headlight harness about halfway down the fuel tank well.

Quote:
Mystery 1:
Connection for an "altitude compensator" but I have never seen a car with one.

Quote:
Mystery 2:
That is the back part of the switch in the door jamb for the interior light/door buzzer.

Quote:
As another complication, which hasn't worried me much, the seatbelt interlock relays are still under the seat. There are actually no seat belts of seat connections in the car and the interlock appears inoperative, but the relays are all connected without any apparent signs of bridging connectors. Unless advised otherwise I'll continue to ignore this anomaly.
I would bridge the two heavy yellow wires to be sure the relay is out of the loop and leave the rest alone if there is no problem.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks, I'll take another look tomorrow. After I posted I was thinking I might need to take the tank out as there are now 1.5 jerry cans of fuel in it, and I've only got one jerry can to drain it into...

Never would have thought of the altitude compensator though.

I now understand the door switch wires. They would originally have been on the left hand door, but got dragged over to the right side when the loom was flipped. So now they just hang down as there are already wires on the right hand door switch. Not very hard to fix.

Cheers, Steve
Old 02-03-2008, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: