Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to pressman
AfterMarket Wheels

Hi,

I'm looking into buying some aftermarket wheels for my 914 it still has the original 4 lug rims and i want to keep the wheels 4 lug but i want to get rid of the 15X5 Empi wheels i got right now. I'm looking for companys who make a 4 lug 16X6.5 wheels can anybody help me? By the way i will be going to a lower profile tire.

Mike
Old 09-29-1998, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

From what I have heard, a lot of companies will drill the four holes instead of the normal five and many have customized offsets. Go onto tirerack.com amd see what they say about it.
Old 12-06-1998, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hello there,
I'm the guy who had posted this topic a few weeks back and somehow it got removed from the server. Anyway, yes, you can go down to any good wheel place and they will tell you that they can get you a blank rim and have it drilled for you. The problem is that the plate on the rim needs to be large enough to accomodate a 130mm bolt pattern. They are usually made for 100mm or 112mm bolt pattern. The rims that are available are the ones that are made or the 5 lug Porsche pattern. The problem is that they are usually very very expensive. I was looking at some rims and tires that costs twice as much than I paid for the car. I guess it depends on how bad you want them.

Now, here is something else that I heard. Someone had mentioned that I could buy a set of adapters from a VW shop that will bolt on to my 4 lug 914 and I can put on a set of rim with a 4 x 100mm (typical Japanese bolt patter) that are made for a front wheel drive. They said with the thickness of the adapter and the fwd rim, the offset should be enough to fit and tuck under the well very nicely. I am hopeing that someone can verify this for me before I go out and spend hard earned money to try this. Good luck.

Bob
Old 12-07-1998, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Try Auto Atlanta, they have alot of wheels. Stock Fuchs or 4 lug custom wheels, just ask them. Make sure they have it in stock, or you'll have to wait eons to get them.
Old 12-07-1998, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Wow, that's really crass--suggesting on the Pelican Parts board that someone go to AA for parts.

Here's an idea: Why don't you give the guys at Pelican a call and see what they can do for you?

You (or Wayne and Tom) may also be able to contact the wheel manufacturers directly. Revolution, Panasport, etc. There are 6.5" by 15" Minilites that are allegedly being made by the orignal Minilite company again. You might look for those, too.

Finally, don't ignore the idea of having steel wheels made. I know several people who have had 7x15 steelies made, and who are not unhappy with them. They're heavier than alloys, and don't look as cool, but they are pretty darn cheap.

--DD
Old 12-09-1998, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Dave. I've seen the made up steelies. One has to suggest that the tire has to be installed from the wrong or upside down position or the tire will bend the rim, particularly the low profile tires. Otherwise, good suggestion.
Old 12-09-1998, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

OK, I have some more info for you folks. I came across an article in the Oct. '97 issue of Super Street Magazine. (Good thing I went to the dentist's office) Anyway, there is a company who will custom build a wheel for you from your exact specifications. The rims in the article look very nice. Here is the company info: HRE Performance Wheels, Dept. SS10, 2540 Pioneer Ave., Vista, CA., 92083 (760)598-1960. Good luck!
Old 12-10-1998, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Heheheh
I think you all missed the point.
The original request was for 914 wheels
http://www.kcnet.com/bulbbopper/P000384a.jpg
yes those are 914 wheels on a kit car
http://www.kcnet.com/bulbbopper/speedster.htm

But in 16 <---- Inch versions.

HRwheels is not a solution.
http://hrewheels.com/Pricing/ AUGH!!!

So I think the only way to do it is get an early bug (pre October 1952) 16" wheel,
http://www.clubvw.org.au/rod_farrell.htm
Then cut and extend the wheel 1" Then cut and reweld a 4 bolt pattern into it. Then get a different hub cap.

OR,
Take your 914 wheels, grind out the center, and reweld them into some 16" sandrail tires and rechrome them. You can go as deep as you want then.

OR
Just go 5 bolt with the 16" 911 Fuchs
and be done with it ;-)

Can ya tell I already tried this route?
Im still shopping for the Fuchs..:-)

-Rich

Old 12-10-1998, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: