Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
NorCal914

1.8 , is there hope?

I have a carbed 1.8 914 which i plan to sell my carbs and buy a efi unit.But my deal is i bought the car and there was water down in the driver side head and about 1/3 of the oil.So i pulled off the heads to inspect.I found that the water only created very small amount of surface rust.Like if i was to rub it with a greasey finger ya couldnt tell.Then As a pulled the passanger side head(# 3 i beleive)my heart droped and so did a flat piece of metal from the combustion chamber.It looked like someone was hiting it with a hammer and punch.Is this "dropping a valve seat"? If so could i get away with picking up some good used pistons and a new head Along with the rust in the lower end? Also my heads on the in side between the chambers has a 20 samped. Is that for VW type 4 2.0 or maybe 2.0 914?And what do you think about a 73 914 1.7 For 1500 bucks its all there but has water in it .Body is strieght and I could strip down my 75 to restore, and do away with smog. Anyone wanna buy a 75 914 for 700 so motor or tranz? anyways just asking everones insight. Thank you.
Old 12-08-1998, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
NorCal914

without the motor and transmission that is.
Old 12-08-1998, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Is the carb setup a dual or single ? I have a 75 1.8, runs great but would like to change to carbs for a bigger cam installation
Where do you live ? Maybe we could swap !
Mike
Antioch, CA
Old 12-08-1998, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
To be honest I think once a vavle is dropped in any motor it is time for at least a top end rebuild. Further, if the valve dropped then the rest of the motor may not be far behind. You can get caught up in trying to save a few bucks here and there rebuilding the head and used pistons, however a few months down the road (with mediocure performance mind you) the bottom end willl let loose. Then you have a junk case, crank, rods, etc. Sooooo you would be better off buying the 1.7L and transfer the parts. Sell off the extra parts and do a complete rebuild on the 1.8L, and have a running car in the mean time.

BTW the piece of metal that fell out was the "head" of the valve. Also the "20" has nothing to do with the type of head (to my knowledge) as far as 1.8 or 2.0. The nine digit number tells what head it is (was). However the easiest test is to count the studs that hold the intake tube to the head, 3=2.0L 4=1.7L or 1.8L. If you do decide to find a new head remember that the 1.7L heads don't fit on 1.8 or 2.0L cylinders, and visa-versa.
Old 12-08-1998, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
NorCal914

thank you , i do beleive i will go with buying the 1.7 liter.Also there is a 2.0 liter in the pick in pull in town , i did turn the motor over by hand a few times and it seemed smooth.Do you think i should take off the heads and inspect to see maybe its in better shape then my ownand if is worth buying the complete motor for $125 and maybe rebuilding that one instead?The more i read the web on 914's the more questions i stir up.
Old 12-08-1998, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

With regards to the 2.0L @ the junkyard, I belive that is a great price for a 2.0L. Just look at all the ads for 2.0L motors, they command a hefty price tag compared to the 1.7L and 1.8L. Just remember get all the smog junk and since your car is a 75 (?) you will need a smog pump for a 2.0L but not for a 1.8L.
Old 12-09-1998, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
I agree that 125 for a 2.0L PORSCHE motor is cheap, but about right for a 2.0L BUS motor. Check the engine number but more important look at the afore mentioned three intake studs. 2.0L bus heads have 4 intake studs. Also make sure the (if it is a 914 motor) tin ware comes with it as the two big peices are unique to the 2.0L. I would take a tranny to the bone yard (automotive recyclers) with a starter and do a compression test (in a perfect world). Then pop off the heads and look for dropped valves and cracks in the heads. Small cracks from the exhaust to the sparkplug hole are common and fairly cheap/easy to fix. If it is a bus motor the valves are too small to really use on a 914. You "could" rebuild your 1.8L heads and put them on the bus block if it seems to be in good shape, but again the motor may not last that long.
Old 12-09-1998, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
NorCal914

Thanks for the reply!
Im gonna go buuy the 2.0 liter , i looked at it and does have porsch engine #'s and has three intake studs.Also i kinda would like to take the heads off before i buy it , if i retourqe them back down after inspection,would it make a differ in the comp. test?
I plan to put on early bumpers on a late model car, does anyone know if there is any problems besides drilling the holes for the early bumpers?
thank again.
Old 12-10-1998, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
For the bumpers, there are a couple of metal tabs that you have to grind off. These tabs are used on the late cars to hold the edges of the rubber/plastic cover of the Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers.

Grind, sand, paint.

At least, that's what John Dunkle tells me.

--DD
Old 12-11-1998, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: