Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rear window advice

hey folks I need some help. I just put new seals in my rear window and now the rear window rattles like hell. I have seen some people glue theirs in but wonder what effects this my have at a later date. Also what type of adhesive would work best if that is the answer. or What held them in at the factory?
Old 12-13-1998, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think the factory used a 1/4 inch round adhesive. Also, before installing the window on the adhesive you should have put two or three rubber shims under the window to avoid glass to metal where the window wants to rest.
Old 12-13-1998, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Which seals did you replace? The rubber "lip" that sticks out over the engine compartment doesn't do anything about the rattling.

At the factory, they used a rubber or plastic seal that had a wire heating element embedded in it. You hooked up a battery to the wire, and the seal got soft and stuck to the glass and the car body.

You can go to your FLAPS (freindly local auto parts store) and get some windshield adhesive, and that works just fine. I did the job a couple of years ago, and got the stuff from GPR. It came as a bead laid out on some wax-backed paper. I think the stuff you get at the FLAPS is in a different form. Maybe a putty that you have to roll out yourself? I forget.

You have to take out the rear window and remove all the old seal. I used a utility knife to cut the old seal. Removing the window required removing a lot of the interior, like the backpad and the roll bar padding. The latter stuff was a pain due to the recessed (and some stripped) screws.

I used a hair dryer on the "channel" around the window opening to keep the seal somewhat warm. Ditto on the window, which I cleaned VERY thoroughly. (Razor, windex, acetone...) It was a little tough to get the two rubber shims in while putting the window in, but it was doable.

I used the seat headrests and some folded up towels to hold the window in place overnight. No problem.

--DD
Old 12-14-1998, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
I put mine in with a 3M window installation kit I bought at a FLAPS. I was cruising around with no back window or engine lid for about 3 months until I was able to fix the window channel rust. I'm sure I've lost some hearing to that whiny 1.7.

Anyway I just cleaned the channel up good along with the glass. Laid down the black roll of caulk. Pressed in the window, and put the interior back in. It has held up since Aug in the Miami sun, so I guess it is O.K.

A note about "profesional" installs. My friend paid about $150 for a pro to put in the rear and side windows on his 930. While the guy was at his house I asked for an estimate on the 914. He said it would cost about as much to do the one window because they are a pain. I can't see why, but evidently it is hard to get a good seal. One other thing about the pro, he used a heated caulking gun with some sort of black polyurethane.
Old 12-15-1998, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: