Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fuel Injection trouble

Happy Holidays Everybody!
I have a 73 914 2.0L that has a problem when it gets warmed up. After cold starts, the engine idles normally, some black smoke is detected and the scent of fuel is apparent. As I make my way down the road, acceleration is good, cruising and deacceleration is also okay. Around 30 minutes later, acceleration is very poor, she seems to shake alot and hesitates. Cruising on the freeway and deceleration is not a problem. Once I get to a light or stop sign, the engine idle is very poor.
I changed all the vacuum hoses except the large intake hoses. Is there a way to check the temperature sensors? Or could this be a failure in the ignition system?
Happy New Year!!
Old 12-29-1998, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Allway suspect the ignition system, but your problem sounds very similar to something that happened to me.

My problem was the car started and ran fine until the temp gauge read "m" in temp. Then if I applied power from a stop or after a turn it started to stumble. As it got warmer it would completely die for about 2 seconds then kick back on. I had a second FI system so I started to swap things out. After I swapped out everything, including the dizzy and CHT sensor, I took out the inline resister between the CHT and the wiring harness. This was my problem. So see if you have the resistor (it is a black square or pill shaped plastic thing) if not test the CHT sensor, disconnect it form the harness first. It should read about 2000-3000 ohms cold and less than 1000 when warm (taken from Kjell Nelin's tech article). A posting on the Renagade site suggests swapping in a 680 ohm 1/2 watt resistor for the CHT when the engine is warm (Jim Thorsen maybe?) I haven't tried this but from the Bosch books I've read it makes sense (the ECU only uses the CHT as a on/off type of input).

The next thing is to check the pressure sensor, and the ignition of coarse.
Old 12-29-1998, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: