Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Starter Clicks and Fuel Pump Dies

1974 2.0L D-Jet... Went for a long ride yesterday. Stopped for an errand and then went to start the car and it died in the parking lot after brief start and was running on and off. Cranked the starter and got it going as 3000rpm's and parked it. Could not restart it.

I have a hot start kit (relay) on the starter and it did click. My puch-button starter (wired under the dash and directly to the starter) did the same thing.

When I turned the key I did not hear the fuel pump whirl for 2 seconds as usual.

So I got a ride home, ate dinner and came back. Engine was now cool. It started.

It died in front of my house and then restarted again.

Car has gasoline. Fuel filter is OK. Relay board has been cleaned and soldered. Seems like a loose connection somewhere.

Any ideas of where to look for this loose connection? Can the starter or the hot-start relay get worn or overheated?

Thanks

Joe

[This message has been edited by retro74 (edited 10-13-2001).]
Old 10-13-2001, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to paulhagedorn
A couple of things I would suggest...check all grounds like any good 914 owner
Another thing, have you checked the relays on the relay board? Replace the fuel pump one specifically, just for kicks to see if anything different happens.

I would also be tempted to fix your band-aid of the starter with the hot start kit. The reason I would is that it is just postponing the inevitable of the starter completely quitting on you. Had it happen in the middle of nowhere. Not fun times having to push start the car every time and worrying if you stall it in traffic.

I would also say that the fuel pump might be shot. The relay is more suspect, but I would check the fuel pump...not sure how, though. I am sure there is some way. The only way I did was to put 12 volts across the pump to check to see if it would spin.

Hope this helps,
Paul
Old 10-13-2001, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
If all else fails, you might want to go through my fuel pump diagnostic flow chart. The first page of it helps you isolate the problem quickly:

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/FPChecklist.htm

Brad Anders
Old 10-13-2001, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Lightbulb

Also check the 2 fuses on the engine relay board. I had a similar problem, just wiggled the fuses for better contact.
Old 10-13-2001, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
The ecu clicks the fuel pump relay, so also check the ecu relay.

Could be an ignition switch, or check the "seat-belt interlock" relay under the passenger seat.

I had a bad ARR that kept poping the fuel pump fuse.
Old 10-13-2001, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

OK So far, so good.. Here's what I did.

Cleaned the wire connector at the fuel pump.

Used a razor blade to expand the relay posts on the relays (X shape widened a bit)

While I just cleaned and soldered the relay board, I used new fuses.

Checked all wires on the starter, Hot Start relay, etc.

Battery wires are all clean and in great shape.

Removed and cleaned the Transmission to body ground strap. Not too bad, but cleaned it anyway.

Seems fine now.

My guess is that the relays get hot from being clicked again and again on the startup and then I lost my connection. Voltage into all relays was checked when I was stuck on the road and they were all fine (relays probably were not making great contact)

Next possibility is the Selenoid. I heard clicking but no engagement. Some posts here mention the things getting stuck when hot. Starter looks clean and rebuilt but selenoid looks much older (seems strange to me).

Will continue to gather parts and make tweaks, but I drove it for 2 hours today (OK I had my cell phone with me just in case).

Thanks for the ideas.

Joe
Old 10-13-2001, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: