Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy Fiberglass Quarter Panels

I could really use some advice on applying fiberglass quarter panels(they Are full panels with flares). I need to know how to apply, where to cut the original quarters out, and how to make them look like they came from the factory!! Also looking for advice on choosing and installing a 911 front suspension package(any suggestions??) and suggestion for the rear. I am also looking for fiberglass decklids aong with 916 front and rear bumpers if any one has any.
Old 10-13-2001, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Where'd you get the quarter panels? I'm interested?

I'd recommend you get the latest year possible for the front suspension. And as much of the parts as you can get. The complete package is supposed to be lighter than the 914/4 suspension. Get the turbo tie rods too, a big difference. 914/6 is the only way I know of to convert to 5 bolt.
Old 10-14-2001, 12:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Lightbulb

For the front end, I recommend an SC or Carrera setup. The Carrera's have wider rotors, but you can upgrade an SC suspension to Carrera brakes.
Old 10-14-2001, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You sound like me a year ago

You can drill the rears to 5-bolt, and I agree with Jim, get front SC stuff. You can replace just the struts, rotors, hubs and calipers, that plus the A-arms, or all that plus the crossmember as well.
It bolts right on except your stock sway bar will not be compatible with the SC steup, so be prepared to drill out the spot welds on your existing A-arms to remove the little u-brackets, and then weld them to the SC arms. No big deal.
You can drill the rear hubs for 5-bolt and save yourself a ton of hassle and cash (and retain the parking brake) by using the stock rear brakes. You can buy 914/6 rear rotors readily and reasonablt.
Converting to 914/6 rear hubs/stub axles/brakes costs the earth.
My flares/rockers/bumpers originally became from GTracing. The parts are quite irregular, so be careful. Everything registers off the rockers first, so get them positioned before you do anything else.

------------------
-- Dave
Pics of my '73 project here: http://members.tripod.com/mike4g/dds73_b4pics.htm

[This message has been edited by DDS (edited 10-14-2001).]
Old 10-14-2001, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: