Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Dim Alternator Light

At idle (no lights) on our 2.0L 1974 914 the light flickers and goes out as RPMs climb. Voltage at idle is 12.5 and goes to 14 at 3000 RPM. I have a new alternator, regulator, wires from alt to circuit board. new wires from batt to ground, batt to kill switch, kill switch to starter and a new sealed batt. I did the tests in James Thorusen's article and both passed? I tried several different bulbs, even a 5 watt bulb but it is still flickering at idle? The trans ground strap is also good. Any ideas or is the big batt just over powering the alternator at idle? Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-14-2001, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Hows the belt tension, I assume it would sqeal if it was loose, but maybe not.

If the battery is an "Optima" I've had no problems with mine.
Old 10-14-2001, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Belt is new and tight and the batt is an Optima sealed.
Old 10-15-2001, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ws91420 Send a message via Yahoo to ws91420
Lightbulb

Is your alt. new new or rebuilt new? I had a similar problem and the brushes on my alt. were about worn out. Just an idea.
Old 10-15-2001, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

There is another ground under the relay board
that attaches to the inner fender. Clean and check that one. I had the same problem after I installed a new altenator on intial start up the light would flicker then go out when bumping the gas a few times. It would not return though after the intial startup.

Install a volt meterif you are not comfortable with wether the altenator is charging properly.

Good Luck

------------------
  • Joe A.
  • 84 911 Targa
  • 75 914/6 3.0
Old 10-15-2001, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The alt is a rebuilt one and tested okay on the bench and during the two tests in Jim T's article? I'll check the ground connector and I have also been told to check both large connectors on the relay board and the 4th fuse from the right on the main fuse block and it's wires. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the inputs.
Old 10-15-2001, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

My 74 does the same thing. I just live with it and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Rich
'74 2.0
'73 1.7
Old 10-15-2001, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I checked all the items mentioned above including the 4th fuse from the right and it's connections and still have the ghost alt light so it looks like I may end up living with it, at least till it goes in the shop to get some work done and I'll let the experts look at it. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2001, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: