Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Door pannel layout

I have fairly nice door pannels. I would like to install the trim handles and map pocket which I have collected. I have the pannels off to work on the locks. Does anyone have a good method for drilling the holes in the pannel in the correct places
so I will be able to install the handles and pocket after the pannel is back in place?
These pannels are aftermarket pannels that don't have the original holes.
Old 10-15-2001, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Sleepdoc,

Its been a while since I've done something like this, but basically you simply want to transfer the mounting points form the door frame onto the back of the panel.

Before doing any marking of positions, its important to have the top of the panel secured into the top of the door frame. The upper lip of the panel slides down over the top edge where the inside of the glass would rest.

Then you'll need some small marking device ( I used a black crayon, broken in two) to position at each mounting point on the door frame. Then gently push the panel against the crayon at each mounting position.

You can drill from the back at each crayon mark, but start with a very small drill first - as a pilot hole. Also, its not a bad idea to place some clear packing tape on the vinyl where you expect the hole to come through. This helps strengthen the vinyl so that it doesn't bind up and deform when the drill goes thru it. Ideally if you can drill through the panel hard-board without penetrating the vinyl, you can come back with a sharp tool and carefully poke each hole through the vinyl from the front - as you'll be able to feel the holes underneath.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------
Gerard
74-914 2.0L
3D914
rodrigos6@juno.com
Old 10-15-2001, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
Hey SleepDoc Whats up with the Denge Fever is it speading? Steve
Old 10-16-2001, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yes Steve it is spreading.

It is pretty clear the initial cases came from endemic pacific island areas to upland Maui, and now have been brought to Oahu by interisland travelers. The state has
sent every physician a flyer re symptoms and reporting. They are threatening to do some mosquito control. Personally I think they are using a real but small problem to get some federal disaster money to institute vector control they have ignored for decades.

Just a Porsche related aside, the State Dept of Health top physician is Dr Bruce Anderson!
Maybe if the health dept efforts go poorly he can make a clean getaway in his 911.

best Mark

best Mark
Old 10-16-2001, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You can always make some Carboard templets that fit the doors. Once the carboard fits the doors the way you want it transfer the
carboard templet to the new door panels.

------------------
  • Joe A.
  • 84 911 Targa
  • 75 914/6 3.0
Old 10-16-2001, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks Joe,
Yours is a good solution because the first holes are in a throw away piece of material. Reading it made me think of a great additional idea. I can get some of the
really cheap thin plasitc sheet from ace
and drill the template under direct vision.

best Mark
Old 10-16-2001, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: