Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Door handles and things

Both of my door handles are broken. It is my understandingg that they are a very weak item on the 914. Has any one had any fun using something else? I have some old Opel handles......

On a more serious topic-
Oil pressure gets to around 70 psi cold, drops to 50 pretty soon and will run at ~25 at 3000 rpm. I am burning a fair bit of oil.
Do you think it would be worthwhile to just replace rings?
Compression was right around 100 psi at each cylinder. Motor was stone cold, throttle wide open.
I seem to have a noisy valve at #1 that I can't completely adjust out.
Motor runs well otherwise, ignoring the puff of blue when shifting.

Leaky Targa tops?

Thanks all!!
Karl P.
Old 10-17-2001, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Got a few questions there....

Door handles, depends on where they are broken. Many times the small plastic slider on the inside has broken. The replacement part is 10 bucks. You need to remove the handle to check.

Get a Haynes manual if you do not know the proceedure to remove the handles...it involves removing the door panel....

If the flapper or the bolt flap is broken you need to replace it. They are available used for 30-50 bucks.

Oil burning, and "just" replacing the rings. Depends on how many miles are on the bottom end, anything over 100K since a rebuild is a good time to do it....unless you LIKE pulling motors.

Leaky Targa tops....where? Up front, you probably need a new seal, GPR has oem ones that work...Pelican has been having problems with their suppliers in the past....that MAY have changed, call and ask.

On seals, I am original german manufacturer fan. Copies MOSTLY don't last.

If you are leaking in the rear of the targa, Sammy Gore makes a replacement that is just as godd as oem, but cheaper...it's an easy one to make. He posts on this and rennlist.

Good Luck....
Old 10-17-2001, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Porsche Crest

If you've got <25 PSI oil pressure at 3000 RPM, the bottom end needs attention. Just re-ringing would be a major "false economy".

--DD

------------------
Pelican Parts 914 Tech Support

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-17-2001, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: