Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Scam or ??????

Hey everyone, check this too good to be true and tell me what you all think. I received this as a junk e-mail today.

http://00000000102.0000000056.00000000231.00000000310/~bart/gas-002.html

------------------
Thanks,

Brian
'74 1.8L is alive!
Old 10-17-2001, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Question

If this thing works so well for GM products how come their cars don't get better gas mileage than other makes? Just something to think about...

Nathan
Old 10-18-2001, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Scam. I took a look at the patent numbers in the ad, and they are all for the magnets contained (or not) in the device, not for the "amazing, revolutionary device" or any mileage increasing process. Absolutely no mention of gasoline or mileage.
Old 10-18-2001, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Porsche Crest

All I get is "connection refused". But from reading the comments, it's the old magnet on the fuel line thing. And that, my friends, is pure scam.

--DD

------------------
Pelican Parts 914 Tech Support

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-18-2001, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Scam! This thing was tested (along with some other devices) on a local consumer alert segment on a Seattle tv news program a couple of months ago. Save your money.
Old 10-18-2001, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

That is why it is being sent out as junk e-mail. I was pretty sure it was a scam, it was too good to be true. A little knowledge does in fact go a long way!

------------------
Thanks,

Brian
'74 1.8L is alive!
Old 10-18-2001, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thumbs down

This device has been kicking around in one form or another, along with the spark coil booster, at least as long as I have been driving. And that goes back fifty-plus years.

As previously stated by someone else, why hasn't GM made it standard on their cars? A patent? What's to patent? Perhaps the way to clamp a device around the fuel line. If magnets were patented, no one could hold notes so easily on their refrigerator!!

Another thought about their claim... increase mileage UP TO 27%, I believe was the claim.. If you now get 12 mpg and you increase the mileage 25%, that would be a jump to 15 mpg. I learned to do that long ago by not putting the pedal to the metal.

Save your money.

Old 10-19-2001, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Porsche Crest

Remember--an increase of ZERO percent also meets their claim. "Up to" simply means they don't think you'll get more than 27%. (And, if they're being honest, they think you'll get 0%...)

The only way I could see that thing affecting your fuel economy is if your fuel tank were shedding rust flakes, and your fuel filter had a hole in it. The magnet could trap a very little bit of rust before it got to your carbs or injectors--and once the rust particles got to those, your fuel economy would drop.

Of course, the rust particles would probably clog the fuel line in short order. Which would starve your engine for fuel, again improving economy. Until the motor quit running or started overheating from a too-lean mixture....

--DD

------------------
Pelican Parts 914 Tech Support

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling

[This message has been edited by Dave_Darling (edited 10-19-2001).]
Old 10-19-2001, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: